I have a 88 dodge raider, it has a horrible ticking noise form the top end, Ive replaced the silencer shaft quides and the timing chain guides. I have also tried different oils in the motor to see if it would quite the tick but nothing has helped anyone with some info please help. Thanks Josh

Dieselman1990
55

Asked by Dieselman1990 Mar 06, 2013 at 10:13 AM about the 1988 Dodge Raider

45,655

Sounds like a hydraulic lifter has collapsed.

Dieselman1990
55

Well wgats the best solution? Replace all hyd lifters or just get a new complete head?

DavidH25

That car does indeed have hydraulic roller tappets. Depends on how much you want to spend..if you are on a tight budget like me maybe a stethoscope can ID the bad one ...complete head? No.

DavidH25

TS you think that would work? The stethoscope?

Dieselman1990
55

The tappets are the spacers between the lifters and the rocker arms correct?

DavidH25

The tappets are the lifters. Just another word.

DavidH25

transmits motion from the camshaft to the push rods or valves...Right there. thats another engine but same deal Right under cam lobe

DavidH25

Hydraulics eliminates the need for mechanical clearance. This drawing shows rocker arms but it this no hydraulic

45,655

Yes David, a stethoscope might be able to localize it. This engine might be a good candidate for the Marvel Mystery oil that was mentioned in another thread. It might free up the sticking lifter. -- Dieselman might be able to pinpoint the lifter by removing the valve cover and turning the engine over by hand. The loose rocker has the short lifter. -- It reminds be of my Opel that had solid lifters. I was in there adjusting those a couple times a year.

DavidH25

Thanks. And right on.

Dieselman1990
55

what is the torque spec on the rocker arm bars?

DavidH25

3.1 to 5.6ftlbs

DavidH25

I'm going off my rocker

Dieselman1990
55

So, I have changed the lifters but 5 of the holes that the rocker arm bar bolts to are stripped. What would be the best fix drilling and tapping each hole or is there a better, more efficent way to fix the problem?