Can I pull the motor on my 87 raider without pulling the transmission?

Ken Cunningham

Asked by Ken Oct 04, 2012 at 08:41 PM about the 1987 Dodge Raider

Matt Thibault

I assume your '87 is the 2.6L... I'm not sure about the 4 cyl, but on my V6, I couldn't remove the engine and transmission as an assembly because of how the transmission and transfer case are attached, as if they were one assembly. In my service manual, the transmission/transfer case assembly share the model number (V5MT1). It is far more work removing the transmission and engine together. You'll definitely need to pull the rad and rad fan so you can move the engine forward once the transmission is unbolted.