Hi, I have just bought a 2006 renault megane and I keep getting electric shocks off of it every time I get out. Please help me !!!!

Michael Huggins
5

Asked by Michael Apr 25, 2009 at 04:12 PM about the 2006 Renault Megane

James Barton
45

Hi, I have a 2000 megane and i found i got electric shocks too. it should be because of the fabric seats....yours clothes build up static energy by rubbing against the seats andyou discharge on the car. hold the metalwork whilst stepping out of the car, that way you will discharge the energy without the shock! it worked for me

Michael Huggins
5

Thanks for that, I will give it a try

Michael Benson
5

have you tried the earthing cable next to the battery could be slightly loose if battery has been fiddled with to fit ICE or alarm :)

edwarl
0

It's the synthetic fabric in your outer garment usually your top, (shirt,blouse) combined with the vinyl of the seat material. A mate of mine, when at the drive-in with his girlfriend, would get zapped every time they kissed! An anti- static spray on the vinyl and/or touch the car metal with the back of your hand as you move out. You could use an electrical resistor in your fingers to the metal to discharge the static charge more slowly. If the steering wheel was metallic and earthed via its fittings the charge would leak away there. But they are not metallic. Not an easy problem to solve except by fitting special seat covers perhaps ! Or maybe wear a 'cotton dust-coat' when driving !! And have someone out front with a red flag.!?

Nuno Branco
795

Just to remind everyone that this works for any car (with metalwork of course).