Why does my 1967 Volvo 122S continue to run hot?

Stockbridge
15

Asked by Stockbridge Apr 09, 2012 at 12:51 PM about the 1967 Volvo 122

My 67 Volvo 122 S continue to run hot. I have changed the radiator and the thermostat twice. I have an after-market temperature gague on the car. I must wait sometime to let it cool down before it will fire back up. What else can I do?  Stockbridge

Daniel Hale
375

Head Gasket...

zephyr914
65

If your engine is running lean it will run hot. If this is the case, and you are still running stock SU HS6 dual carbs, the jets can be adjusted to increase fuel to the carbs. The jets are located underneath the carbs right above the exhaust header. Each of the two "L" shaped plastic tubes can be adjusted up or down (down to enrich - so counter clockwise). Be sure to loosen the adjuster nut near the middle - don't unscrew the jet tube with the top nut. See if it effects engine temp - best of luck!

courtneytru
10

check your fan

01bigjon
625

Check for blown head gasket advanced auto has a kit tube with bubble knob on it blue chemical in it put it on the top of rad take cap off draw air from rad not fluid if the chem changes to greenish yellow in directions Head Gasket is blown if it stays blue head Gskt ok