Top speed

Hinz
10

Asked by Hinz Mar 16, 2011 at 01:02 AM about the 1968 Austin-Healey Sprite

I recently purchased a 68 Healey sprite and
was surprised and confused to find it tops
out at about 60mph.... and that's red-lined
in 4th gear. I am wondering if anyone can
tell me what's wrong with it or where to
start looking to fix the problem? Thank you
in advance for any help.

98DAK
1,865

I assume it is a standard transmission. It sounds like the clutch is slipping. Please award points if this helps

Hinz
10

I tested your theory because I had my own suspicions.... now I'm thinking its just the gauge because there is plenty of pedal and acceleration even though the tac shows 7k at 55mph. Does that make sense to anyone else?

uavengineman
0

My 68 redlineed at 55 MPH checked tach cal with a clamp on tach and had to adjust tachometer to mach digital meter. Requires tach removal from dash and adjust while hooked up to car and taken apart. dash pot to adjust inside of tach unit. You need to confirm RPM at several settings to dial it in.