i have a 79 spitfire wont start

bigjake53
0

Asked by bigjake53 Dec 01, 2013 at 09:08 AM about the 1979 Triumph Spitfire

the key ingnition will light on the dash but wont turn the car over with the key in the run position i jump the stater silionoid and i get no spark i am not used to working on these
cars  someone told me it was the distributor im not so sure is there a way to check?
without just buying alot of parts? its a 1500 with elec distibutor thanks for any help you can give me

54,245

Are you sure that your battery is fully charged and that all the terminals are clean and tight? Also clean and tighten the negative connections on the frame and motor.

Paul Chase
35

if the power source to the positive terminal if its the same voltage with the key in the run position and still no crank when shorted at the solonoid pos.neg.termminal your problem is in the starter or starter silonoid if low or now voltage is present at the solinoid it could be a bad ignition switch.i suggest once up and running to go through all of the ignition wires and test to see that all the fuseable linkks have been checked.from the starter back probe to the starter and then from the starter to the battery..processs of elimination