does a datsun necessarily need a cold start valve?

elgransimba732
15

Asked by elgransimba732 May 23, 2013 at 08:08 PM about the 1978 Datsun 280Z

43,265

If the cold start is removed then it will have a hard time staying running with a cold engine and get worse as the outside temps drop,it may not even start at all cold. So to answer your question you need the cold start.

Best Answer
elgransimba732
15

@tennisshoes they told me i can bypass it.thats why im asking the question.but thank you for you answer it helps me out as well

loganbrew
30

My '77 280z didn't need one. The CS valve is a piezo-electric injector on our cars. When my valve started to leak many years ago I took the valve off and plugged the orifice on the intake manifold. tennisshoes has a completely valid point though...my car stays in south Texas where temps below freezing are rare and of short duration. The Bosch ignition and fuel injection system is bomb proof and fine w/o the CS valve in S. Texas winters.

elgransimba732
15

so without it it wont be able to start in cold weathers?

43,265

It may start but you will have trouble keeping it running until the engine warms up some, it will most likely try popping back through the intake. It all depends on how cold your climate gets.

elgransimba732
15

well i live in the antelope valley so in the winter it gets really cold and the summer really hot but i have another question on the same subject...without the cs valve would it do any damage to the car?

loganbrew
30

It won't hurt the motor while you seek a replacement and install before Fall season.

elgransimba732
15

would it be good to buy a new one or a used one?

loganbrew
30

Personally I'd go new; $80 is nothing compared to a car that won't and need re-troubleshooting/fixing the issue again.

elgransimba732
15

where can i find a cheap one?

dutchiez
50

i ripped mine out. only useful for very cold weather starts. and even without it you can still start, just might take a bit more cranking.