Power Steering

Emma Paton

Asked by Emma Apr 09, 2009 at 12:08 PM about the 2000 Fiat Punto

I have a 2000 Mk2 punto and soon after I bought it the Power Steering stopped working, when I was trying to find out how much it would cost to fix, I was told that this is a common problem has it happened to anyone else n if so does it cost a lot to fix?

Robin Crabb

The fault is in the steering column normally...unfortunately it's a bit of a sod to fix as it's basically a whole new steering column job. It may however be classed as a recall item (I can't honestly remember if it is or not)...if it is a recall then Fiat should do the repair for you F.O.C

Chris Bate

hi. i have just had mine into the garage to have a new steering rack fitted after mine just kept dying on me :( . A few things; i took it to a local garage who could do it for me, they changed the ecu and motor on my column. it was even worse, kept pulling to the left (dangerous). So they put the original back on. and to this day fingers crossed it haasnt happened since. This was like a month ago. But i also found out that just unplugging the cables and plugging the back in again works, as it clears any crap that may be on the connections I Hope this helps

Suzi Graves

my mechanic got my steering back temporarily by taking the cover off and there is a metal cylinder on the side and hit a few times with a rubber mallett this worked for several months also for a 2nd hand part fitted was around 130 quis but loads from fiat