over heating

Weekend_Warrior
0

Asked by Weekend_Warrior Feb 06, 2013 at 11:16 AM about the 1993 Acura Legend

At low RPM or idle, temp gauge goes up and heater goes cold. Once you bring RPM's up, it immediately cools and runs normal. This does not happen all the time. Car will run normal for a week, then all the sudden it happens. Fans seem to be cycling normal. It almost appears that the water pump stops pumping. Coolant levels are normal and the radiator exchanges with overflow as normal. Car has new radiator, thermostat and block has been flushed. No head gasket leak. Any ideas? Driving me nuts!

judge_roy

yes, try a 195 thermo instead of the customary 212. You guessed it. the thermostat is blocking the flow so that the engine warms quickly- Long as we're not blowin' steam like the ole No.9 locomotive there is nothing to be mindful of. keep rollin' along~

judge_roy

You should not be concerned. There is an optimal operating temperature under which combustion occurs, anything else is puffin with the black. You want a nice even combustion. You seem to be impatient for the engine to reach operating temperature. My toyota actually enters the red zone before the damned t-stat opens up, so definately it's going to be okay....okay?

68,285

The water pump is worn. At idle, it's not spinning enough to keep the engine cool. You could try a new pump or raising the idle speed. The thermostats available for your motor are 170*F and 180*F at RockAuto.com

Best Answer