overheating problem

maddison
140

Asked by maddison Nov 29, 2008 at 03:38 PM about the 1994 Acura Legend

does anyone know what else could be making my 94 acura legend l overheat. the temp gets almost to the H on the temp gauge and then it will drop back down instantly to normal. then it will slowly work its way back up to hot. I have replaced all relays to the fans, the thermostat, i have checked and tested the temp sensor the fan motors, and the coolant level. any ideas?

BaggrBreaker87
105

of course ive never even seen ur car but check if its lubricating properly if its not this will cause friction in the engine so check the valves and oil pump? coolant/water mixture may affect it. not sure trying to help :)

Logan Saunders
1,060

Maybe....is the water pump actually moving the coolant? Are the fans engaging when they're supposed to? Are there any air pockets in the cooling system? Did you add coolant to the radiator or the surge tank? Is the thermostat installed backwards? Are the hoses collasping and restricting coolant flow? Is the radiator defective? Is the car actually overheated when the guage indicates it? Try troubleshooting these additional things.

maddison
140

the fans aren't engaging at all so i hard wired them to toggle switch. and it still overheats. the temp gauge gets to about half where it usually rides, then the heater quits working and starts blowing cold air, then the temp gets just about to the H and then drops back down and the heater will start working again.

Logan Saunders
1,060

Based upon what you just listed with the heater, I'd estimate that your cooling system hasn't enough coolant in it. The heater blowing cold air is the clue that counts. When there is no hot coolant in the heater core, it will cause the heater to blow COLD AIR! The coolant is LOW! Do this, wait until the car is completely cold. Remove the cap from the radiator and start the engine. OPEN ALL HEATER VALVES TO INCLUDE DEFROST, SET TO MAX TEMPERATURE. When the thermostat opens, the coolant will move into the heater core. This will create empty space in the radiator and force air out the system. (When your heater stopped blowing warm air, it was because the coolant retreated back into the engine where it was needed most due to pressure changes in the sealed system!) Be careful not to get burned because as air exits the system, it will belch hot coolant. Stick with it until you have steady warm air from the heater and a full radiator. Then replace the cap allow to fully cool and check the surge tank. Add more coolant if needed.

maddison
140

I tried the coolant idea. still no luck. I let it run at least 30 minutes or so adding coolant as needed. The odd thing is it runs at normal temp if its only idoling. it didn't overheat til i got in and drove it.

maddison
140

How can i tell if it the head gasket without tearing apart the motor? I have checked the oil and it doesn't appear to have any coolant mixed in with it and it didn't have that funky smell. I'm running out of ideas other than the head gasket being blown.

sel29wins
50

did u find out tha problem because my car is doing tha same thing. It jus cause a build up of preasure and caused my radiator to burst.

acudude
10

Logan545...does this explain why the heater works @ higher revs? (such as highway speed??)

Mike Gordon
5

uhh i think thats because the engine heats up.

Dosycar Carter
105

Sounds line you might have air in you cooling system try bleeding it via the bleed screw. make sure you have a bottle of coolant at hand. if that dosent help you might have a high temp thermostat. that opens at a high temperature.

Dosycar Carter
105

my mestake i didnt completly read your writing. if you have a white smoke coming from the exhaust you might have a blown head gasket

LegendMan
15

those who got white smoke coming from tail pipe maybe got water leaking mixing to the engine oil. my advised 1st try to treading with a thick oil they sold em at auto part cost only $4-$10 depending bran name. it does said stop smoking, try that first see if getting better then you save a lot money don't have to overhaul head gasket would cost you $750-$1200. once you add that thick oil in should be sound more smoothly and you keep add em everytime when you got your oil change.

JDG_Pro_Mechanic
20

The 95 Acura Legend is problematic with blown head gaskets, after checking all the normal and cheaper things like the thermostat, sensors, radiator cap and even ensuring the radiator is not plugged. Unfortunately the head gasket is a notorious thing to go on these cars. Note: dont use stop leak at all, it does too good of a job of plugging leaks, it will eventually plug your entire radiator and heater core, which can cause the engine to over heat and seriously damage your engine. If you dont feel confortable with working on it yourself, go see two or three mechanics and have them check it out. Use the one who seems trustworthy and has reputable business, ask your friends or family for a good mechanic, make sure the mechanics are at least ASE certified, hope that helps. JDG, Former Professional Mechanic, moved on to become engineer.

laducer
0

I got the same problem it's the water pump.

laducer
0

change your timing belt when u change the water pump

Monique Bell
40

I have a 91 Acura Legend and it is doing the same thing.... While warming up/parked/idol - Temp is great (Normal) when i drive two blocks, my car over heat. i replaced my radiator, relay for the fan, added lots of coolant, the problem is, my fans are not working once i start to drive... Why not?

zaxbat
0

Blown Head Gasket....99% sure. Passenger side at the back. I had ALL of symptoms listed above and tried all of the band-aid repairs listed above. No good. So I fixed the headgaskets and replaced the water pump. It worked great for a few months, then the water pump went out again. Working on that now. It overheated when the water pump went out, so I hope it didn't hurt anything else.

Crockett013
20

Simple answer that worked for me....remove the thermostat. The engine develops an air pocket at the thermostat rendering it useless. Pull it and be amazed.

You think this is helpful.
zaxbat
0

Well, may be beyond help. I put in a new water pump and also put new timing belt. Got it all back together. It runs but smokes like crazy. So I think this engine is lost. To get a replacement engine is more expensive than the value of the car..so....time to buy a truck.

Danny Garcia
0

My 91 is doing the same thing as listed replaced everything except the gasket but they did a block test and said was good no leaks and gauge still goes up but they say engine is not getting hot could it be that I'm using non acura parts