just a quick question, i have a 1995 integra with b18c in it, i got a tip to take the head off and put a 16 head on it, what would this do?

Josh Penney

Asked by Josh Nov 26, 2009 at 07:10 PM about the 1995 Acura Integra

also the tip said to make sure the 16 head was not a v-tec. i am very confused, anyone have some enlightenment?

Xavier Spencer

No such thing as a non-vtec 1.6 unless its a single-cam. LOL. If im not mistaken a B16C1 is a gsr? in which case it really makes no sense to do that. People put B16 heads on non-vtec 1.8 blocks cuz u get the torque from the LS bottom, and then the vtec and high RPM power from the B16 head... to put a b16 on a gsr block doesnt really make any sense to me... just my .2

Aurrie Banks

Yea u already have a gsr motor n ur car....Whoever told u 2 put a non vtec head on your motor iz crazy lol...non vtec heads don't breathe as well as a vtec head so u will lose alot of power....if ur going to swap ur head try a b16 head....I heard that a b16 head on a a gsr will actually help u gain horsepower because it breathes better...but I'm not 100% sure about that itz only hear say....honestly I'd leave ur motor alone....tha only other swap u should do 2 ur car if any is get a b18c5 which iz the type r motor.

Josh Penney

you betcha, he said single cam.....

Paul Bullock

if it has a b18c on it, i would just leave it, the head is just abt the same, you have a VTec head on the b18c. inplus if you put a b16a head on it, you will be spending alot of money to get that head to work, you might not have vtec work for awhile and will be running on the b18 block and the vtec wont engage. and if u do put a b16a head on, it wont do nothing really. it will be the same.

Paul Bullock

and B16A is a DOHC head not a SOHC

Xavier Spencer

Yes, we know that. But he was told that he needed a 1.6 NON-VTEC. There is no such thing as a 1.6 DOHC NON-V. So we were just telling him that the only 1.6 non-vtec could only ever be a single cam head.

Jesse Martinez

dont swap the b18 to a 16 u will lose power like crazy ur thinking of a 16 with a 18 head on it

Ron Smith

It might increase the horsepower slightly

Xavier Spencer

I really thought that I was the noob... Its crazy to hear the things people think... a gsr head on a b16 is gonna run better!? are u serious!? crazy... I think this is my last post in this car IQ shit...

Adam Farrell

guys settle down. you all need to do some more research before you randomly tell people things. a b16 head will flow slightly better than a stock gsr head. so, if you put one on, with new cams and everything, youd make a little more power. thats it. there are a lot of things that can go wrong if you do not know what you are doing though, so if youre on a budget id recommend just an intake for the sound and throttle response and do suspension work. that will yield you the most fun for your dollar.

Charlie Papapetrou

your have a gsr block (b18c), and yes, non v-tec b16 head is a total waste, but a b16 v-tec can breath a lot better than a b18c head (vtec also), proven.

Jeff Vaughn

it's better to have a b20 block because the b20 has higher compression than the b18 keep the same gsr head on it, shit will fly son, thats wut i have

Xavier Spencer

Yea, but u also have to do extra work for a B20v. They arent meant for high revs, remember they come out of CRV's for the most part. I think most people end up sleeving the block and basically rebuilding the bottom end just to make sure it survives...

Jeff Gasswint

if ur b18c is a b18c1 its a gsr if its a b18c or c5 is a type r, and a gsr head has higher compression, im guessin its a gsr head, it all depends on what u want to do with your car u can change the intake manifold to get rid of the IAB secondaries, gsr head is different from the b16 or type r heads, bolt pattern is different. ive built many lsvtecs and it all depends on what u want to do with hit easy to make some torque with one and changing pistons and valves

Ryan Taylor

well first a true b18c is the JDM type R. b18c1=GSR b18c5= USDM Type R. but they are dumb. if you have a 1.8 vtec there is no point in swapping to a 1.6 head. your going to loose some power. and they make a dohc 1.6 but ids the d16zc swap out of a 87-89 integra

Jeremy Gotem

I got a 1999 Acura 3.2 to can I put a b18 in it or something different