I have white smoke coming from the tail pipe, what are the recommended solutions?

71280SLNY
0

Asked by 71280SLNY Feb 14, 2013 at 02:43 PM about the 1971 Mercedes-Benz 280

White smoke from the tail pipe. Do I need to do valves and rings or are there other less involved repairs
that can be made ie; change hoses, filters, etc.. The car has 133,000 miles and I have put in a new
exhaust system. Saw on a T.V. show that there might be a crankcase filter which if cleaned could
eliminate or decrease emission. I seek advice

judge_roy

Your car has coolant in the exhaust. This is never good. Now we have to figure out from where. I'd start with the head gasket, but it could be a (god forbid) cracked block. Cracked heads are not as expensive to replace, but we must start small. I can remember an Isuzu Impulse that kept gettin coolant in the oil, turns out the gasket just went smoosh and caused the leak. no prob. changed the gasket $25 and the weekend. big deal....point is may not be that terrible, if we are lucky. Did you look at your crankcase oil to see if it looks like a chocolate mousse?

7jimmy7
11,985

,what brand of mousse?

judge_roy

lovely petrochemical mousse served in a dainty cup with a doily underneath, of course.

judge_roy

hey, I crossed three grand. That one about the hummer was murder. those folks were building a scaffold to hang me from--whew, see you've done a grand. will pipe-up if you ask but it's best if we all go honest....honest~