when im driving my 98 turbo wagon at higher speeds with WOT i get a pop, pop wuzzesh, wuzzesh from under the hood ,and an aroma of , did you ever boil turpentine and radiator caps like odor from the dash vents, what the hell is this

7jimmy7
13,835

Asked by 7jimmy7 Jan 27, 2013 at 03:28 AM about the 1989 Peugeot 505

for the last few months anyway

DavidH25

What is WOT? And I love your description of the noise! No I have never boiled turpentine, but if you detect an odor like radiator coolant from the dash vents, you may have a leaky heater core. What you describe, the pop, did it only happen one time or every time you drive at high speeds, also your definition of 'higher speeds' may be different from mine. 70? 100? A hose bursting will make a sound like that, or the radiator cap releasing excess pressure in to the recovery tank.

65,425

WOT is wide open throttle. The popping noise is the blow off valve that regulates the output of the turbocharger. The smell is stuff burning off the exhaust. It usually doesn't get that hot.

Best Answer
DavidH25

OK, thanks man I didn't get it and never would have

7jimmy7
13,835

thank you guys, I did some checking and turbo pop off @ 7 lbs ,did some adjusting now increased pop off @ about 9 pounds really adds to performance and the pop pop is for engine overstress i been told , dosn,t do it but rarely, speeds maintaned is seldom over 85 to 90 avg. hwy. 50 jim