Timing Belt Replacement

Asked by toddskibinski Aug 01, 2007 at 08:00 PM about the 2001 Acura TL

I am due for a Timing Belt Replacement (105,000 mi service) and was quoted $850 through Acura.  Does this price seem high?  Would this service be able to be performed by any mechanic?  Thanks.  Todd Skibinski

Hi toddskibinski, Yes, any seasoned professional should be able to accomplish the same task. Your normal mechanic should be able to get this done for less than $500 or $600 unless something drastic is required during the belt replacement. Hope this helps!

Joel Fallaise

When you replace the timing belt, you also should replace the water pump, its run by the timing belt and is recommended by Acura, this saves you time, while your replaceing the timing belt you might as well, saves time and it it siezes your timing belt may break and the engine in your car is an interfierance head. which means if the timing belt breaks, you pistons hit your valves and you'd probably need a new engine.

Why are you using my name?

Logan Saunders

Did you look at the date of the posting? If your name were "that" much of a factor, why react to it now?

Adam Morgan

He probably googled his name and this was likely near the top... Wait checking, yup number 4 on the list.

I am looking at purchasing a 1999 Acrua Tl that has 92,000 miles. Can I drive it a little longer before I have to replace the timing belt? I know there is a chance but it can't just go bad at 90,000.

the price is not great. i think u can get a better deal at ebay or autozone. http://www.acuratls.com/

I was just quoted $798 for replacement of the timing belt and water pump at an Acura Dealership.

$800-$1k is going to be pretty standard for a dealership. If you can find a local shop that does good work, you can get it lower, into the $500-$700 range. And @miraclemike, Sure, you could probably drive it, but why take the chance. It's likely that with 92k on it, it has already gotten the timing belt replaced once. If it hasn't, just pony up the extra $700 to get it done, and you know that you should be good for another 50-90k. Spend $700 and know, or don't, and let the cars engine tear itself apart... your call.

You're all in the ball park. I know a Acura certified mechanic and he does the service on my car. I buy the parts from http://www.acuraoemparts.com/ (Acura Dealer with discount) and pay him cash for the labor. He replaces: Water Pump, Timing Belt, A/C Belt, Spark Plugs. $300 cash and about $250 in parts. Typically, I think they charge 1k at the dealer for the same service (depending on your part of the country).

Yes. if you've got ANY mechanic skill level 1A will be able to not overtorque the cover fasteners, and count teeth.

Hi, I have a 2006 Acura TL about 90,000 miles. Is it time to change the timing belt. Can't find anything on the manual. Also how much it should cost to replace it in the auto shop?

For a 2003 Acura 4S... I just got a quote for $1200. for timing belt and water pump from a local shop in Rockville, MD. I am going to get at least one other quote.

I have a 2007 Acura TL with 90,000 + miles. I took to my car to a private auto shop (five stars), where friends have recommended. I am having the timing belt, valves adjusted, engine mounts, power steering fluid replaces (small leak - no biggie), and among other maintenance repairs that are needed. Quoted me at $1,050. The dealer ship would have charged me more than half of this.

Man, you folks are lucky. Dealership quoted me $1,250 for timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and serpentine. A couple of local shops quoted me $1,100 - $1,450 for JUST the timing belt and water pump. Effing Chicagloand.