tooth hands free link in Acura tl 2005 not working. Dealer asking alot to fix anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? Thanks.

anniebe
0

Asked by anniebe Mar 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM about the 2005 Acura TL

Hi,
Please read Topic. Dealer is asking over $660.00 to fix Hands free link, with just a half hour of labor!
This price seems overinflated. I have seen numerous post on edmunds.com within the last 2 weeks regarding the same problem. Seems odd to have the same problem to be happening for a number of people at the same time. Coincidence!?

~Has any one else had this problem?
~ Any Solutions or suggestions?
Thank You for your responses...Have a great day!

tickedoff
40

Just had the same problem on my 2008 TL type S. Just went out right after the 50,000 mile warranty ran out. How convenient for Acura. Makes me thing they made it go bad electronically right after the 50,000 mile mark. $600 to fix it spot on.

Jatayu
60

Bought a 2005 tl recently. Same issue. The lady's voice prompts for command but my commands do not register. Looking for a fix.

David Nehrir
45

update the nav disc, worked for me.

virginian
20

yes. my 2005 tl hands free stopped working after 100,000km. hmmm? it wont pair anymore. i get to the last step of pairing process then it kicks me out. i have tried 3 different phones and same thing. i talked to Hands free 1800 number and they could not help me. in canada it is $800 to change out the system for an hour worth of labor. seems like planned obsolesence to me. has anybody changed the system themselves?

Jonathan Hoskins
30

Something is going on guys! My HFL system went out right after the warranty expired as well... it happened as I renewed my XML radio subscription, however. Now sure it the two are related... but I think the fact that my warranty had recently expired is no coincidence at all! If anyone finds a junkyard with extra parts or a dealer out there that is not looking to gouge customers please let me know. What a crock!

Theodore Brown
35

my entire radio is defective keeps spitting discs out wont play dvd audio or mp3/wav or storeb bought redbook authoring. my hfl also works funky. still under warranty however acura cant locate a replacement.

Theodore Brown
35

car radio replaced by dealership does anyone get the discs to read correctly with title and artist only T.I. new album will display track listings

bway
40

I'm having the same issue. My Handsfree went out after my warranty was up as well. The dealer wouldn't even look at it without charging a $150 diagnostic fee. So, 've been searching to find a system to replace it with. Has anyone had any luck? Has anyone tried Honda?

anjy834u
2,825

stereo issue has been a common problem on tls, they should have called a recall on that by now. http://www.acuratls.com/

erose1422
30

I have a 2006 tl with Nav. The HFL unit starting acting up about 2 months ago....now it is dead. Pulled the fuse to try to reboot it, even disconnected the battery, but it is dead. Acura wanted $110 for electronic dialnostics, parts wanted $700 for the part, I if I can find a replacement of the electroncs I figured out how to remove the unit from the overhead courtesy lights area....real simple. So, for now I purchased a $35 bluetooth unit that sits on the visor. If someone knows what to do to fix the electroncs on the HFL board (e.g., rempove a capacity, etc), I would be will to try that. Also, if anyone knows where I can get a used replacement part, I would appreciate that also.

Sparty
40

On another site I saw a "fix" for the HFL that I tried. Poster said it work on his, but it did not on mine. In any case it's easy: remove the dome light assembly. Start by gently prying out the sunroof button. It should come out fairly easily and let you pull the whole assembly out with your finger. Disconnect the wiring leads. Then you'll need the right sized star-drive to get the four screws off the HFL cover. Cover, off you'll see two circuit boards. sometime the smaller card comes loose from the main one. Re-seat it and tape i down with some electrical tape. Replace the cover and assembly and see what happens. It took me less than 15 minutes and $0 so it's worth a shot before being extorted by your dealer.

acuraowner7
20

I am having the same problem with my Acura TL 2005. Just a few days ago I couldn't pair up my phone to the car. Today the Acura dealership said that the problem is with the HFL device and I need a new part. $150 for the diagnostic service and another $465 for the part and installation. Seems as if this is a recurrent problem in these cars. Also the dealer said that the TL's and TSX's will be discontinued in the spring of 2014. There is a new care that kind of combines these two that will be available next spring as the 2015 model. ?

mpff1838
10

My 2006 TSX HF Link just started acting up about 2 months ago, too. Now when I turn on the ignition I get the message, "Starting the pairing process from the phone is not allowed. Returning to the main menu." It's very annoying-- but it doesn't seem to affect the pairing..

teaching2500
85

before you buy a used car it is better to get a warranty that covers,,,all electric parts for 5 years...I a warranty agent...My name is BEN ORTEGA...what we can do is who ever is buying used from dealer ship call me..and we will help you and assist you 520-414-8741

Les Ordway
40

My HFL has always worked, however, I started having issues with starting the car. I'd go to start the car and nothing, no sound. Try again and it would finally start. Finally about two weeks later the car wouldn't start at all. Replaced battery and I was back to normal. A few days later I noticed the odd behavior again. This time I do research and find the HFL device is often to blame. I removed it about 5 days ago and the odd starting behavior is gone. Now I need to take the device to someone (preferably not a dealer) to see if I have a bad capacitor that was causing the short (battery drain). Capacitors cost about $1 or $2. Getting someone to install the new capacitor is the difficult part. Alternative is buying a new unit for about $200 and installing yourself. Still a better deal than the +$500 dealer charge.