Changing Spark plugs

Asked by Dray Mar 17, 2009 at 10:52 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Lumina

Whats the easiest way to change sparkplugs without getting someone else to do it?

A Facebook user

Do it yourself. :) The front three are easy - pull them one at a time so you don't mix up the wires. The rear three are a pain. Jack the front end TOTALLY off the ground. E-brake on and block the car. Put it in neutral, and take off the front motor mounts. Run something through the hook loop and ROTATE THE ENGINE BLOCK so that you can get at the rear three plugs. Make sure you put it in neutral first, otherwise you'll rip the splines off the halfshafts.

Got it thanks!

I have a 97 Lumina and just replaced the wires and plugs. DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING!!!!!! Not the motor mounts or the alternator. The back 3(5,3, and 1) are tight to get to, but I just replaced mine using a rachet set and a flexable 90 degree attachment. You will have to do the work blindly(by feel) but it still only took me about 30 mins to do the rear ones and 10 mins for the front ones. This is much easier than all the trouble of disconnecting other items. Just go on at a time and you will be fine.

I agree with mattNCLT! I have a 1998 Monte Carlo (essentially the same car with two fewer doors) and the job can be done in its entirety without disconnecting anything. But a small hinged shop mirror did help me out quite a bit! Took about 40 minutes, but I'm not strong in the force . . .

Just remove alternator it takes 5 mins and makes for easy acess