I have a 1979 trans am convertible

Matt Webster

Asked by Matt May 01, 2009 at 07:12 PM about the 1979 Pontiac Trans Am

It is no. 43 of only 250 ever made into convertibles at National Coach Engineering straight from the factory. The car is in great shape. Just wondering what would be a fair price for it?

Justin Gilbreath

It depends on the condition. My '79 WS6 T-Top is worth $9,750 at the lowest according to NADA, that's with a 20-footer paint job and a little work needed. I got on there to find out yours but it's not a dealer option so NADA cannot price it as a convertible. It's obviously worth more than a regular T/A.

Jonathon Garon

Ya a few years back I saw about an '80 or so convert. goin for like $13500 @ a dealership. but couldn't tell u what other options it had.

Sounds like a really great custom. Don't think I have ever seen one and it probably would command a price above the typical Trans Am of the same year. Just to be clear, you said it was "straight from the factory". I assume you know it was not from a GM factory. It came as an aftermarket custom from National. Probably cost the person or dealer that had the conversion done about $7-10K above the TA sticker price. If it is in good condition, original drive train and most other parts, and is in "great shape" as you say, I would estimate that it is probably worth about what the other guys said - $10K low end; $15K high end. Other factors would include what options were on the car, what proof of ownership/originality you have from any previous owners, and whether it has a clear title. Market for these cars is not very big but it is growing. If you don't have to sell it, I would keep it another few years and see what interest develops now that Pontiac is no longer in buiness.

i agree with taver, if you don't have to sell it ,especially since it's numbered. you canalso get it documented from phs-online.com.

Svein Holmedal

In 1978 this company began converting Firebirds to convertibles. Prices ranged from $19,995 to $24,995 in 1979. For some perspective the 10th Anniversary Trans Am (Pontiac's most expensive standard offering for 1979) averaged around $10k. The NCE dealer option added on average over $8,000 to the factory invoice. Only T-Top Trans Ams were shipped to the NCE facility for conversion. This was due primarily to the extra rigidity built into the T-Top cars. NCE reinforced the frame and pillars as part of the conversion process. They also re-located the rear speakers and dome light. One interesting note is that a roll bar option was offered by NCE but only for the 10th Anniversary models. The convertible top and boot cover were made of vinyl and were often poorly color matched with the interior. The boot cover featured a thin foam padding and nickel plated snaps. A common problem with the vinyl top was becoming pinched in the folding metal frame. Because of this it often took two people to raise or lower the top. In order to get an NCE convertible it had to be noted on the order sheet. Its believed, but not confirmed that NCE converted 250 Firebirds in 1979. We have no production number information for the other years yet. Total production is rumored to number around 500 from 1979 to 1981.

Thanks for all the good information as I was wondering what my car is worth. I have the #2 car. It was used as the test car in Motor Trend Magazine in the Sept. issue ( have copy) and has added extras such as real wire wheel knock-offs and a special color combo... Looking to sell... Anyone interested..? captainocean@gmail.com

Hello, I also have a 1979 Firebird Formula Convertible too. I got mine off of Ebay in 2000 and have completely redone mine pretty much from the ground up. I made a custom roll bar in it with a brake light(similar to a 1970 mustang Shelby). I love my car, and is always a crowd stopper, and at car shows my car is ALMOST always to most rare one in the show. Did you sell yours? I don't know if you still monitor this thread, so I post a pic if I hear back from you. T Haist missouri

Hi Matt. I just saw this & I know it's an old thread but can you tell me where you got it from and what the original color is? My Dad had one and sold it in FL approx. 27 years ago. I'm looking for it and I believe there were only 200 made. Thanks!