advice

ascension
0

Asked by ascension Sep 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet El Camino

I own an 85 El camino with a 4.3l v6. I want to know what is the best choice of engine upgrade to a v8 or stay with the v6.I've ben told if I go with a v8 rgistering will be an issue.If i stay with the v6 can i put in the newer vortec without any problems.

Dan Araujo
45

It all depends on the state you are in, if you are in a smog legal state you have to stay with what you have. If no smog like here in Ohio when you register it they don't ask what engine you have and they don't check what it was built with and most don't. You will need to change your motor mounts and radiator fan shroud and may even the radiator because of the more heat it will produce. One other thing to concider will be the transmission, so if you go with a stock 350 it should handle it because they only have about 150HP, if you go with a crate eng with more HP the trans may not handle it. Buzzard

Sean McCall
35

I'm considering a newer Vortex myself; a 4300 V6, and I currently have tuned-up 305 V8. I'm motivated by a worn cam-shaft & gas mileage though, if you want more power & want to stay classic, 350's are niiicee.