2009 Volkswagen Jetta User Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Review Ratings

• Review your car

• Performance:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Appearance:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Overall: 4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5

PROS
"handling" 8 reviews
"brakes" 7 reviews
CONS
"expensive car" 5 reviews
"doors" 3 reviews
"high maintenance" 3 reviews

Displaying 11 - 20 of 40 2009 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

RoanMissKitty writes:
2009 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Review
Overall:

Pros

Four Door, so easy for my 5 year old daughter to get in and out

Cons

Any parts....very pricy

RoanMissKitty

Cool Mom Car — I would own another one for sure. I like my sun roof and it does pretty good in snow. I wish parts weren't so expensive and oil changes were cheaper. But, car is very reliable and I have not had any problems with it.

Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 38,511 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $1,200.
VFernandes writes:
Overall:

Pros

I love my 2009 Jetta. I plan to upgrate to a 2014 Jetta otherwise i would not sell. The front heated seats are awesome! It drives AMAZING, the blue tooth is easy to use and super convenient. The sunroof is cool to have on nice days. Great MPG. very roomie trunk and back seat. This is a very conformtable and reliable vehicle.

Cons

Tail lights go out about once per year.

VFernandes

Simply Amazing! — I adore my jetta and plan to have another jetta in the near future! The front heated seats are awesome! It drives AMAZING, the blue tooth is easy to use and super convenient. The sunroof is cool to have on nice days. Great MPG. very roomie trunk and back seat. This is a very conformtable and reliable vehicle.

team48 writes:
Overall:

Pros

38 miles to the gallon in town, 40s on the hiway.  I do mostly city 90% and always do 38 or better. ben a good car with 95000 miles now, no repairs to date. I did brakes pads, but they still had 40%. they were cheep so I did them. easy job. 09 had 4 wheel disc. car has great torque, harley never downshifts, even on hills. pulls strong. you would have to drive one to be a believer. pulls better than most 6 cyl without having to rev the motor.

Cons

door locks switch click sometimes,but not a problem. solid car

team48

No Complaints, Could Ride Alille Better But Its A Small Car, Rides Better Than All The Rest I Dr — love the power and mpg. ride could be a little better,but rides better than any other small car i have drove, and i road tested a bunch. hard to beat 38 miles to the gallon every time, city hiway,and running it hard. will pull 100mph with out a problem (uphill) Its an amazing power house. time will tell on how reliable they will be. i trade in a 100,000 i consider a 100000 miles trouble free pretty damb good. hope the next car will be so kind. i am gonna try a toyota hybrid next time. (avalon) They still get good miles per gallon and alittle better ride for theses old bones.

celestyal writes:
Overall:

Pros

MPGs are amazing! Averages about 50 MPG on the highway! Seats are incredibly comfortable (heated and adjustable).

Cons

Maintenance can be expensive.

celestyal

Great Car With Great Mpgs — The car is super comfortable, gets great MPGs, has heated seats, a great sound system, tight control, great visual area (blind spots are limited), heated mirrors, has 4!! cup holders in the front, and has audio auxillary input for an iPod in the arm rest.

newsmctado writes:
2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition Review
Accessories:
Overall:

Pros

Engine, transmission, handling, interior quality, build quality, performance, stereo.

Cons

Brakes, no trip computer, no radio controls on steering wheel.

newsmctado

A Great Compromise Of Fun And Practical — Bought the 2009 Wolfsburg Jetta with the DSG transmission in June 2011 with 28K miles and have put 20K miles on it since. Very impressed all around. Absolutely great engine. DSG transmission makes the most of the four cylinder turbo, with incredibly fast and smooth shifts. Plenty of power all over the rev band. Fuel economy could be a little better. I average about 30 on the highway, but only about 18 in the city. Very comfortable. Overall pretty good visibility, turning radius and parking. Great handling with a lot of feedback and response. Plenty of room in the rear for two adults up to about 6 foot, or three children. Great stereo and good seats, if a bit firm. Minor complaints would be lack of feel in the brakes with a little jerkiness, lack of radio controls on the steering wheel, and lack of trip computer. Oil changes require a full synthetic and are a bit expensive (about $70), but are generally good for 10K-12K miles. Needs premium gas or the engine hesitates. I have had small mechanical problems (blown fuse, broken engine fan blade, intake manifold), but all of those have been taken care of at minimal cost by VW servicing. The VW service program is easily the best automotive care program I have ever encountered and is certainly worth the slightly higher cost of the German engineered Jetta versus Corolla, Fusion, etc.

David writes:
Overall:

Pros

Excellent fuel economy on both highway and around town.  Diesel engine provides plenty of torque and is seamlessly matched to the 6 speed DSG automatic transmission. Very quiet inside almost to the point that you forget you are in a diesel. Very well built, fit and finish of interior is on par with Mercedes and BMW.

Cons

Infrequent stops at the gas stations means you need your own squeegee to wash the windshield...

Jetta Tdi... Why Go Hybrid When You Can Have A Real Ca — In the quest to save money on fuel, my wife desperately wanted a Toyota Prius. Upon a closer look we found that the Prius was simply an economy car (read: interior is chincy and made out of sub par materials (inexpensive plastic with faux textures)) based on an inexpensive platform with only one thing in mind. Keeping the weight down to improve fuel economy. Strong consideration to handling, braking, acceleration were all thrown out the window in favor of the scale. Myself being a car enthusiast, I was almost insulted that such items in a modern day car could be ignored. I strongly feel that the aforementioned qualities are imperative for a safe vehicle. I believe that the safest vehicle is the vehicle that can avoid an accident whether it by by accelerating onto the freeway, braking in time to avoid hitting something/someone and able to successfully maneuver to avoid a collision at speed. Deciding to ditch out on any hybrid models as any "normal" cars fitted with hybrid tech simply didn't have the fuel savings without sacrificing the quality of the car. So we moved on to diesel. The Volkswagen Jetta TDI was on the short list of diesel vehicles available in the states. I went in open minded with no expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. The Jetta was a sharp looking car on the outside. Upon getting in the car, I was blown away. My current and past cars have been BMW M's and Porsche (911TT and Cayenne TT) and have gotten used to the very high quality of materials and design. The Jetta was right up there with the other top German automakers. While our other cars were the power horses of the family, this car you could jump in and feel familiar with the cockpit, while getting excellent fuel economy (the shortfall of our other cars). The braking is excellent for a car in this class, with great modulation and feedback. The handling is very responsive and well controlled. You can feel confident with any emergency avoidance maneuvers (unlike many other cars). On the highway, the car is very solid. One of my wife's biggest complaints about the Prius was that on the highway the car felt as if it was getting blown all over the road by oncoming traffic and wind gusts (that was 2nd to the Prius's uncomfortable seats). The one thing that I geek out on is the transmission. Our Jetta TDI is equipped with the 6 speed DSG transmission. Completely seamless, instantaneous gear changes. All of the high end sports cars are moving over to DSG transmissions due to their speed, minimal acceleration losses between gear changes and smoothness. I had a very bad experience with my last BMW M5 which only had a single clutch (SMG III) tranny, and this car with the dual clutch setup was a night and day difference. I have never experienced any issues starting out from a stop or being in the right gear like I did with the M5. (The new M5 and M3 have DSG transmissions in them as an option) To sum it up, I am very impressed with this car. Decent power, excellent reliability, quiet, handles and brakes well and being a fuel miser tops off the package. All without being blown off the road and distracted by images of your car charging on the dash.

CHAZRJR writes:
Overall:

Pros

Black looks expensive, Auto power windows UP and DOWN, really fun to drive, plenty of power, completely loaded and a great value for a used sedan.

Cons

factory tires, were very noisy until I replaced with a softer tire(Nexen) could NOT believe the difference in ride and quietness. Fuel economy could be better and wish it had fog lamps, thats it tho.

CHAZRJR

Great Used Car Bargain — I bought it here in South Florida for 13,500.00 it had only 33,000 miles. The paint was very good for a 3 year old vehicle, just a couple of scratches. Of course when you buy a black car, that is to be expected I supose. The car is completely loaded with everything I wanted and is a blast to drive. After reading Edmunds.com and "most" reviews, I decided to go with the Jetta, instead of staples like the Accord, Camry, Sonata, etc. The Jetta, was a LOT more fun to drive, it looked expensive and IT was the best deal. According to the experts, Volkswagon has do a good job in recent years with their quality issues. I dont put a ton of miles on a car, so I hope that the data backs up the opinions of "most"

KevinHolder writes:
Overall:

Pros

Car is very nice, and handles well, It is bit under-powered, but other than that it is a wonderful car.

Cons

nothing, but just lacks power

KevinHolder

Car Is Very Nice, Great Styling, Handling — This car is a replacement for a family car. This car handles well, and has great interior and exterior. The car is truly a wonderful car and I have only had it a few weeks, but it is everything that I wanted it to be so far!

xdreamoz writes:
Overall:

Pros

Great fuel economy and awesome performance driving through the mountains.

Cons

Response time from stop to go is sometimes slow.

xdreamoz

Overall Great Value — Acceleration is terrible at lower spends but once in second or 3rd gear it really takes off. Great for passing cars because of all the torque and the seats are really comfortable on long trips. Not a ton of leg room in the back seats but I usually only have one passenger so that hasn't been a problem for me. It is a great summer car but in the winters it would take forever for the car to warm up. Thank goodness for the heated seats.

bartrandall writes:
Overall:

Pros

Great car

Cons

nothing

bartrandall

Great Vw — I love my jetta. VWs are such great cars. It is peppy yet it sips gas. I will continue to buy VWs! If you are in the market, Jettas are great cars. The Germans know autos. What else can I say?

Displaying 11 - 20 of 40 2009 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

Review your car

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Great Daily Driver For The People Who Enjoy Driving By dustan

Overall a great car, I enjoy every drive. The car is comfortable and efficient all while being completely sexy. The car can get out of its own way well and it a blast to drive at highway speeds. The a... Read More

Read all 2014 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Very Happy With Car By Jcar

Super pleased with economy - I drive mostly highway, mostly 75-80 mph and average over 40 mpg. This is reason I bought the car - as I drive 120 miles to/from work. Great stereo, nice comfort, ve... Read More

Economical But Fun By Thorsten73

This car is a great family car that not only is a hybrid, but has a turbo for times that you need it. No problems, intuitive and great looking. I recommend this car to any small family looking for a ... Read More

Read all 6 2013 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

I'm Trading To A Diesel Beetle Ragtop So I'm Sad To See It Go! By Michael

So your car takes premium and gets 35 mpg? Diesel costs the same or less than premium and this car gets twice the mileage, meaning you use 50-60% of the fuel costs. I'm a long distance commuter, a... Read More

Decent By dinocchio

Bought a used car from a dealer with $15000. It's a decent car. The suspension sucks. The look is great. Anything else is normal. The trunk is very spacious. All in all, it's a very decent car with t... Read More

Read all 6 2012 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Great Car For Most People By tdub_birytx

2011 Jetta does lots of things well. Good on fuel economy, looks great, handles better and has a surprisingly spacious interior. I am 6'2 and am comfortable driving the car. The trunk is also a lot bi... Read More

Awesome...love The New Design By Leonizmo

Great car, my wife love it. We take it out for road trip all the time. Great on gas mileage, the awesome thing is you only have to do maintenance once in 10k miles. Only the coat of it lol Read More

Read all 12 2011 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Great Economy Car By Jason

I drove this car for 5 years before I bought my challenger. I didn't realize how much you could actually spend on gas before I bought my challenger. I only went to the gas station once every 4-6 weeks... Read More

Loved It! By timster2833

This is a really great car that looks great and is very fun to drive. The car handles like a dream and gets pretty good gas mileage. The heated seats are a plus to! Very reliable and I'd keep mine ... Read More

Read all 28 2010 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

People researching a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta contacted a dealer about

2009 Volkswagen Jetta, Front Left Quarter View, exterior, manufacturer
Volkswagen Jetta
Volkswagen Passat
Honda Civic
Toyota Camry
Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 38,511 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $1,200.