2009 Volkswagen Jetta User Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Review Ratings

• Rank your car

• Performance:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Appearance:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Overall: 4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5

PROS
"handling" 9 reviews
"interior" 7 reviews
CONS
"expensive car" 5 reviews
"high maintenance" 4 reviews
"doors" 3 reviews

Displaying 11 - 20 of 43 2009 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

team48 writes:
Overall:

Pros

38 miles to the gallon in town, 40s on the hiway.  I do mostly city 90% and always do 38 or better. ben a good car with 95000 miles now, no repairs to date. I did brakes pads, but they still had 40%. they were cheep so I did them. easy job. 09 had 4 wheel disc. car has great torque, harley never downshifts, even on hills. pulls strong. you would have to drive one to be a believer. pulls better than most 6 cyl without having to rev the motor.

Cons

door locks switch click sometimes,but not a problem. solid car

team48

No Complaints, Could Ride Alille Better But Its A Small Car, Rides Better Than All The Rest I Dr — love the power and mpg. ride could be a little better,but rides better than any other small car i have drove, and i road tested a bunch. hard to beat 38 miles to the gallon every time, city hiway,and running it hard. will pull 100mph with out a problem (uphill) Its an amazing power house. time will tell on how reliable they will be. i trade in a 100,000 i consider a 100000 miles trouble free pretty damb good. hope the next car will be so kind. i am gonna try a toyota hybrid next time. (avalon) They still get good miles per gallon and alittle better ride for theses old bones.

Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 35,614 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $988.
Contour_107 writes:
2009 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Review
Overall:

Pros

brakes and stability

Cons

acceleration new civic is wonderfull

Je3etta Golf Be Shanta — look all ppl i know its slow a bit but really amazing on road excellent stability perfect brakes perfect quality appearance exterior nice i like it and interior i really love it cost a little bit high gas per mileage sexy on highway i hate it at town anyway i love that car i feel comfort driving these car i love my car :D:D

celestyal writes:
Overall:

Pros

MPGs are amazing! Averages about 50 MPG on the highway! Seats are incredibly comfortable (heated and adjustable).

Cons

Maintenance can be expensive.

celestyal

Great Car With Great Mpgs — The car is super comfortable, gets great MPGs, has heated seats, a great sound system, tight control, great visual area (blind spots are limited), heated mirrors, has 4!! cup holders in the front, and has audio auxillary input for an iPod in the arm rest.

Joyce196 writes:
2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Loyal Edition Review
Joyce196

Lots Of Fun To Drive And Great Mileage Too! — The mileage we've been getting has been fantastic! We took a trip to New Hampshire, 3 1/2 hours, and got 46.7 miles/gal. Around here (combination in-town & highway driving), I've been getting about 40 m/g. The turbo gives it lots of pickup when I need it, which is one of the reasons I was hesitant about buying a highbred. I consider this a safety feature when merging with traffic on a highway entrance ramp and other situations where I need to quickly get out of someone's way. It is surprisingly quiet for a diesel. My husband is particularly sensitive to car and road noise and he is as enthusiatic as I am about the car.

newsmctado writes:
2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition Review
Accessories:
Overall:

Pros

Engine, transmission, handling, interior quality, build quality, performance, stereo.

Cons

Brakes, no trip computer, no radio controls on steering wheel.

newsmctado

A Great Compromise Of Fun And Practical — Bought the 2009 Wolfsburg Jetta with the DSG transmission in June 2011 with 28K miles and have put 20K miles on it since. Very impressed all around. Absolutely great engine. DSG transmission makes the most of the four cylinder turbo, with incredibly fast and smooth shifts. Plenty of power all over the rev band. Fuel economy could be a little better. I average about 30 on the highway, but only about 18 in the city. Very comfortable. Overall pretty good visibility, turning radius and parking. Great handling with a lot of feedback and response. Plenty of room in the rear for two adults up to about 6 foot, or three children. Great stereo and good seats, if a bit firm. Minor complaints would be lack of feel in the brakes with a little jerkiness, lack of radio controls on the steering wheel, and lack of trip computer. Oil changes require a full synthetic and are a bit expensive (about $70), but are generally good for 10K-12K miles. Needs premium gas or the engine hesitates. I have had small mechanical problems (blown fuse, broken engine fan blade, intake manifold), but all of those have been taken care of at minimal cost by VW servicing. The VW service program is easily the best automotive care program I have ever encountered and is certainly worth the slightly higher cost of the German engineered Jetta versus Corolla, Fusion, etc.

David writes:
Overall:

Pros

Excellent fuel economy on both highway and around town.  Diesel engine provides plenty of torque and is seamlessly matched to the 6 speed DSG automatic transmission. Very quiet inside almost to the point that you forget you are in a diesel. Very well built, fit and finish of interior is on par with Mercedes and BMW.

Cons

Infrequent stops at the gas stations means you need your own squeegee to wash the windshield...

Jetta Tdi... Why Go Hybrid When You Can Have A Real Ca — In the quest to save money on fuel, my wife desperately wanted a Toyota Prius. Upon a closer look we found that the Prius was simply an economy car (read: interior is chincy and made out of sub par materials (inexpensive plastic with faux textures)) based on an inexpensive platform with only one thing in mind. Keeping the weight down to improve fuel economy. Strong consideration to handling, braking, acceleration were all thrown out the window in favor of the scale. Myself being a car enthusiast, I was almost insulted that such items in a modern day car could be ignored. I strongly feel that the aforementioned qualities are imperative for a safe vehicle. I believe that the safest vehicle is the vehicle that can avoid an accident whether it by by accelerating onto the freeway, braking in time to avoid hitting something/someone and able to successfully maneuver to avoid a collision at speed. Deciding to ditch out on any hybrid models as any "normal" cars fitted with hybrid tech simply didn't have the fuel savings without sacrificing the quality of the car. So we moved on to diesel. The Volkswagen Jetta TDI was on the short list of diesel vehicles available in the states. I went in open minded with no expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. The Jetta was a sharp looking car on the outside. Upon getting in the car, I was blown away. My current and past cars have been BMW M's and Porsche (911TT and Cayenne TT) and have gotten used to the very high quality of materials and design. The Jetta was right up there with the other top German automakers. While our other cars were the power horses of the family, this car you could jump in and feel familiar with the cockpit, while getting excellent fuel economy (the shortfall of our other cars). The braking is excellent for a car in this class, with great modulation and feedback. The handling is very responsive and well controlled. You can feel confident with any emergency avoidance maneuvers (unlike many other cars). On the highway, the car is very solid. One of my wife's biggest complaints about the Prius was that on the highway the car felt as if it was getting blown all over the road by oncoming traffic and wind gusts (that was 2nd to the Prius's uncomfortable seats). The one thing that I geek out on is the transmission. Our Jetta TDI is equipped with the 6 speed DSG transmission. Completely seamless, instantaneous gear changes. All of the high end sports cars are moving over to DSG transmissions due to their speed, minimal acceleration losses between gear changes and smoothness. I had a very bad experience with my last BMW M5 which only had a single clutch (SMG III) tranny, and this car with the dual clutch setup was a night and day difference. I have never experienced any issues starting out from a stop or being in the right gear like I did with the M5. (The new M5 and M3 have DSG transmissions in them as an option) To sum it up, I am very impressed with this car. Decent power, excellent reliability, quiet, handles and brakes well and being a fuel miser tops off the package. All without being blown off the road and distracted by images of your car charging on the dash.

CHAZRJR writes:
Overall:

Pros

Black looks expensive, Auto power windows UP and DOWN, really fun to drive, plenty of power, completely loaded and a great value for a used sedan.

Cons

factory tires, were very noisy until I replaced with a softer tire(Nexen) could NOT believe the difference in ride and quietness. Fuel economy could be better and wish it had fog lamps, thats it tho.

CHAZRJR

Great Used Car Bargain — I bought it here in South Florida for 13,500.00 it had only 33,000 miles. The paint was very good for a 3 year old vehicle, just a couple of scratches. Of course when you buy a black car, that is to be expected I supose. The car is completely loaded with everything I wanted and is a blast to drive. After reading Edmunds.com and "most" reviews, I decided to go with the Jetta, instead of staples like the Accord, Camry, Sonata, etc. The Jetta, was a LOT more fun to drive, it looked expensive and IT was the best deal. According to the experts, Volkswagon has do a good job in recent years with their quality issues. I dont put a ton of miles on a car, so I hope that the data backs up the opinions of "most"

KevinHolder writes:
Overall:

Pros

Car is very nice, and handles well, It is bit under-powered, but other than that it is a wonderful car.

Cons

nothing, but just lacks power

KevinHolder

Car Is Very Nice, Great Styling, Handling — This car is a replacement for a family car. This car handles well, and has great interior and exterior. The car is truly a wonderful car and I have only had it a few weeks, but it is everything that I wanted it to be so far!

Karthik writes:
Overall:

Pros

Safety, Mileage, Comfort, Spacious, Sound System, Moon Roof, Air Conditions and Durability

Cons

Nothing

Me And My Jetta — This is the Amazing Compact car I ever owned, Much better than Hondas & Toyotas. There is no comparison when it comes to Long rides. Silent cabin is best in the car. Boot space is better than Camry. My Babies love my car.

Hotes writes:
Overall:

Pros

Great car for the price.  I should have kept it but decided to upgrade to the new 2011 version of the same make and model.  This actually turned out to be  a downgrade with many features I liked in the older 2009 model that the newer one did not have.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment.  I traded up because it was involved in an accident and I let my superstitions get to me thinking it would never be right again.

Hotes

Should Have Kept It! — It was a great car and even though it was involved in an accident, in retrospect I should have kept it. I think it handled better than the newer model of 2011 and it had many features that the newer model does not for some reason.

Displaying 11 - 20 of 43 2009 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

Rank your car

1981 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Jetta Mk1 By Bas

Old 1.6 diesel, it's not fast but that doesn't matter. It's real fun to drive, low and slow ;) Starts al the time, it's just a rock solid Volkswagen Jetta mk1. Many things coming for it, just wait a... Read More

Love It. By Jeremy

Performance: It's a diesel, what performance? Handles like its on rails. Build: tons of squeaks and rattles, but 30 years and 900k kms its doing alright. Appearance: Love the styling of early 80's Ger... Read More

Read all 4 1981 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

1982 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

It Is What It Is By MDeath

I absolutely hate the auto transmission. I feel like everyone is pointing at me while I drive down the road. It has a horrible start/idle/overheating issue which no one seems to be able to address. I ... Read More

Read all 1982 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

1983 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

To Fast For Its Own Good Death Trap In The Wrong Hands! By Steven

well what can i say this little red monster was purchased from germany but did not run and had a poo 1.8 8v on carbs 115bhp after i got my hands on it and now it has a 1.8 20v turbo now 230 bhp and on... Read More

Read all 1983 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

1984 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

The Car Is Prepared To Install Everything By Joel

is the best car I have. a great classic design, good build quality, low maintenance at low costs and engine that let do anything any upgrade is plug and play, the car is prepared to install everything... Read More

Little Jetta By Vytas

I love this car... I love all MKII Jetta's and Golf's. What i cas about this car? Build quality is i think is good, Spare Parts cheap, and you can get it in every car part's shop. This car usefull, yo... Read More

Read all 6 1984 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

1985 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Fun Car When It Was Running By Phatrick

I owned this car when it was 5-6 years until it was about 12-13 years. It was certainly a nice car to drive. It was quick and handled like it was on rails. The interior was well designed ergonomica... Read More

Great By Bryan

first car i ever bought. this thing is a tank. i have taken it off road and beaten the hell out of it. real simple to work on as well. the 1.8 L engine puts out some good power for size Read More

Read all 6 1985 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

People researching a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta contacted a dealer about

2009 Volkswagen Jetta, Front Left Quarter View, exterior, manufacturer
Volkswagen Jetta
Honda Civic
Mazda MAZDA3
Volkswagen Passat
Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 35,614 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $988.