2009 Volkswagen Jetta User Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Review Ratings

• Rank your car

• Performance:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Appearance:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Overall: 4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5

PROS
"handling" 9 reviews
"interior" 7 reviews
CONS
"expensive car" 5 reviews
"high maintenance" 4 reviews
"doors" 3 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 45 2009 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

Overall:

Pros

Get's me to and from work everyday with no problems. Is my first car that i bought myself.

Cons

Needs new paint and interior roof fabric.

shaneridley

My Car — Everything that has been down to my car aftermarket wise was done by and purchased by me. I value my car a lot because it was my first car I bought my self. It does need some more work but in due time.

Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 32,384 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $1,899.
2009 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV Review
Overall:

Pros

Price, Maintenance Costs

Cons

MPG

pruster1

Good For What It Was — The 5 cylinder in its stock form was extremely underpowered. This was a great car and did exactly what I needed it to, provide me with transportation at a low cost. My GF was not happy when I sold it.

Overall:

Pros

Excellent torque and sufficient power with high MPGs! Ride is just a little sporty yet still very comfortable Good looks that age well (I still get compliments, which is nice ;) Quiet (TDI quieter on the road than gasser version) DSG automatic is super fast Upgraded sound system still sounds great Heated seats Good visibility Letherette ages better than real leather Good safety features (lots of airbags and good ratings)

Cons

Crawling at slow speeds with a DSG is a little lurchy (unavoidable with dual clutch automated manual but could be refined a bit more) Maintenance costs at dealer are a little inflated Even with cold weather package, cabin takes a good five minutes to warm up on cold days (again, comes with the territory with diesel, but supplemental heating element could be more powerful) I had to install bluetooth for an extra $400! (Fortunately, VW fixed this oversight later I think)

JasonPDX

Still Smooth Sailing After 5+ Years — My 2009 TDI SE has treated me very well for over five years and 70K, and I am still happy with it. The build quality on this generation is really, really good (unlike the dumbed down start to the next gen after): the interior is premium and the exterior is quietly upscale and distinctive in a good way. Having heard from some about VW's prior reliability problems when I bought it, I wondered whether I'd be in for some unexpected bumps in upkeep. But this car has been 100% reliable, with no time in the shop except for the regular maintenance, a new set of tires, and (just recently at 70K) a new pair of rear brake pads. And I still get about 43 highway and low 30s city MPG-- above EPA.

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Review
Overall:

Pros

Four Door, so easy for my 5 year old daughter to get in and out

Cons

Any parts....very pricy

RoanMissKitty

Cool Mom Car — I would own another one for sure. I like my sun roof and it does pretty good in snow. I wish parts weren't so expensive and oil changes were cheaper. But, car is very reliable and I have not had any problems with it.

Overall:

Pros

I love my 2009 Jetta. I plan to upgrate to a 2014 Jetta otherwise i would not sell. The front heated seats are awesome! It drives AMAZING, the blue tooth is easy to use and super convenient. The sunroof is cool to have on nice days. Great MPG. very roomie trunk and back seat. This is a very conformtable and reliable vehicle.

Cons

Tail lights go out about once per year.

VFernandes

Simply Amazing! — I adore my jetta and plan to have another jetta in the near future! The front heated seats are awesome! It drives AMAZING, the blue tooth is easy to use and super convenient. The sunroof is cool to have on nice days. Great MPG. very roomie trunk and back seat. This is a very conformtable and reliable vehicle.

Overall:

Pros

38 miles to the gallon in town, 40s on the hiway.  I do mostly city 90% and always do 38 or better. ben a good car with 95000 miles now, no repairs to date. I did brakes pads, but they still had 40%. they were cheep so I did them. easy job. 09 had 4 wheel disc. car has great torque, harley never downshifts, even on hills. pulls strong. you would have to drive one to be a believer. pulls better than most 6 cyl without having to rev the motor.

Cons

door locks switch click sometimes,but not a problem. solid car

team48

No Complaints, Could Ride Alille Better But Its A Small Car, Rides Better Than All The Rest I Dr — love the power and mpg. ride could be a little better,but rides better than any other small car i have drove, and i road tested a bunch. hard to beat 38 miles to the gallon every time, city hiway,and running it hard. will pull 100mph with out a problem (uphill) Its an amazing power house. time will tell on how reliable they will be. i trade in a 100,000 i consider a 100000 miles trouble free pretty damb good. hope the next car will be so kind. i am gonna try a toyota hybrid next time. (avalon) They still get good miles per gallon and alittle better ride for theses old bones.

Overall:

Pros

MPGs are amazing! Averages about 50 MPG on the highway! Seats are incredibly comfortable (heated and adjustable).

Cons

Maintenance can be expensive.

celestyal

Great Car With Great Mpgs — The car is super comfortable, gets great MPGs, has heated seats, a great sound system, tight control, great visual area (blind spots are limited), heated mirrors, has 4!! cup holders in the front, and has audio auxillary input for an iPod in the arm rest.

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition Review
Accessories:
Overall:

Pros

Engine, transmission, handling, interior quality, build quality, performance, stereo.

Cons

Brakes, no trip computer, no radio controls on steering wheel.

newsmctado

A Great Compromise Of Fun And Practical — Bought the 2009 Wolfsburg Jetta with the DSG transmission in June 2011 with 28K miles and have put 20K miles on it since. Very impressed all around. Absolutely great engine. DSG transmission makes the most of the four cylinder turbo, with incredibly fast and smooth shifts. Plenty of power all over the rev band. Fuel economy could be a little better. I average about 30 on the highway, but only about 18 in the city. Very comfortable. Overall pretty good visibility, turning radius and parking. Great handling with a lot of feedback and response. Plenty of room in the rear for two adults up to about 6 foot, or three children. Great stereo and good seats, if a bit firm. Minor complaints would be lack of feel in the brakes with a little jerkiness, lack of radio controls on the steering wheel, and lack of trip computer. Oil changes require a full synthetic and are a bit expensive (about $70), but are generally good for 10K-12K miles. Needs premium gas or the engine hesitates. I have had small mechanical problems (blown fuse, broken engine fan blade, intake manifold), but all of those have been taken care of at minimal cost by VW servicing. The VW service program is easily the best automotive care program I have ever encountered and is certainly worth the slightly higher cost of the German engineered Jetta versus Corolla, Fusion, etc.

Overall:

Pros

Excellent fuel economy on both highway and around town.  Diesel engine provides plenty of torque and is seamlessly matched to the 6 speed DSG automatic transmission. Very quiet inside almost to the point that you forget you are in a diesel. Very well built, fit and finish of interior is on par with Mercedes and BMW.

Cons

Infrequent stops at the gas stations means you need your own squeegee to wash the windshield...

Jetta Tdi... Why Go Hybrid When You Can Have A Real Ca — In the quest to save money on fuel, my wife desperately wanted a Toyota Prius. Upon a closer look we found that the Prius was simply an economy car (read: interior is chincy and made out of sub par materials (inexpensive plastic with faux textures)) based on an inexpensive platform with only one thing in mind. Keeping the weight down to improve fuel economy. Strong consideration to handling, braking, acceleration were all thrown out the window in favor of the scale. Myself being a car enthusiast, I was almost insulted that such items in a modern day car could be ignored. I strongly feel that the aforementioned qualities are imperative for a safe vehicle. I believe that the safest vehicle is the vehicle that can avoid an accident whether it by by accelerating onto the freeway, braking in time to avoid hitting something/someone and able to successfully maneuver to avoid a collision at speed. Deciding to ditch out on any hybrid models as any "normal" cars fitted with hybrid tech simply didn't have the fuel savings without sacrificing the quality of the car. So we moved on to diesel. The Volkswagen Jetta TDI was on the short list of diesel vehicles available in the states. I went in open minded with no expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. The Jetta was a sharp looking car on the outside. Upon getting in the car, I was blown away. My current and past cars have been BMW M's and Porsche (911TT and Cayenne TT) and have gotten used to the very high quality of materials and design. The Jetta was right up there with the other top German automakers. While our other cars were the power horses of the family, this car you could jump in and feel familiar with the cockpit, while getting excellent fuel economy (the shortfall of our other cars). The braking is excellent for a car in this class, with great modulation and feedback. The handling is very responsive and well controlled. You can feel confident with any emergency avoidance maneuvers (unlike many other cars). On the highway, the car is very solid. One of my wife's biggest complaints about the Prius was that on the highway the car felt as if it was getting blown all over the road by oncoming traffic and wind gusts (that was 2nd to the Prius's uncomfortable seats). The one thing that I geek out on is the transmission. Our Jetta TDI is equipped with the 6 speed DSG transmission. Completely seamless, instantaneous gear changes. All of the high end sports cars are moving over to DSG transmissions due to their speed, minimal acceleration losses between gear changes and smoothness. I had a very bad experience with my last BMW M5 which only had a single clutch (SMG III) tranny, and this car with the dual clutch setup was a night and day difference. I have never experienced any issues starting out from a stop or being in the right gear like I did with the M5. (The new M5 and M3 have DSG transmissions in them as an option) To sum it up, I am very impressed with this car. Decent power, excellent reliability, quiet, handles and brakes well and being a fuel miser tops off the package. All without being blown off the road and distracted by images of your car charging on the dash.

Overall:

Pros

Black looks expensive, Auto power windows UP and DOWN, really fun to drive, plenty of power, completely loaded and a great value for a used sedan.

Cons

factory tires, were very noisy until I replaced with a softer tire(Nexen) could NOT believe the difference in ride and quietness. Fuel economy could be better and wish it had fog lamps, thats it tho.

CHAZRJR

Great Used Car Bargain — I bought it here in South Florida for 13,500.00 it had only 33,000 miles. The paint was very good for a 3 year old vehicle, just a couple of scratches. Of course when you buy a black car, that is to be expected I supose. The car is completely loaded with everything I wanted and is a blast to drive. After reading Edmunds.com and "most" reviews, I decided to go with the Jetta, instead of staples like the Accord, Camry, Sonata, etc. The Jetta, was a LOT more fun to drive, it looked expensive and IT was the best deal. According to the experts, Volkswagon has do a good job in recent years with their quality issues. I dont put a ton of miles on a car, so I hope that the data backs up the opinions of "most"

Displaying 1 - 10 of 45 2009 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

Rank your car

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Excellent By Mannyhutch

Great daily driver, very good on gas, reliable, comfortable, this is a car that any person that has a long daily commute will enjoy, best part is going to the gas pump and not spending too much to fil... Read More

Great Daily Driver For The People Who Enjoy Driving By dustan

Overall a great car, I enjoy every drive. The car is comfortable and efficient all while being completely sexy. The car can get out of its own way well and it a blast to drive at highway speeds. The a... Read More

Read all 2014 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Love Our Jetta By chuckcars

This is our go to town car. Had it 2 years. Changes the oil, free at dealer, and no trouoble. except for inability to change the clock time this year. Now for a trip to the dealer since it is still in... Read More

Very Happy With Car By Jcar

Super pleased with economy - I drive mostly highway, mostly 75-80 mph and average over 40 mpg. This is reason I bought the car - as I drive 120 miles to/from work. Great stereo, nice comfort, ve... Read More

Read all 7 2013 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

2012 Vw Jetta By Will

Amazing car! Fun to drive around for daily commutes and even better for long road trips with good friends. I have driven this car through the best and worst weather conditions and it has kept powering... Read More

Decent Car For A Decent Price By lemoffett

I loved that this car was under $20k brand new. I also liked that it came with black interior for a white car. The best thing about this car was that all windows rolled up/down with one click. I went ... Read More

Read all 11 2012 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

2011 Vw Jetta Review By Hauk

This model - the SEL - is loaded with navigation and all the other amenities including bluetooth, heated seats, the only thing it's missing is a back up camera Great car for the value. It has that so... Read More

2011 Vw Jetta Review By Hauk

Read all 15 2011 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Great Student Car By Ginese1

This car was the perfect pick for my daughter, she learned to drive with my Volvo SUV, then my Passat. These were a little big for her and harder to navigate parking situations. I surprised her with... Read More

Great Value By Jonesb930

Overall I am happy that I purchased this car. I am at 100K and ready to trade it in but have been hesitating since it was such a great car overall. I have driven a newer model Passat during the last s... Read More

Read all 30 2010 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

People researching a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta contacted a dealer about

2009 Volkswagen Jetta, Front Left Quarter View, exterior, manufacturer
Volkswagen Jetta
Honda Civic
Mazda MAZDA3
Volkswagen Passat
Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 32,384 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $1,899.