2008 Nissan Versa User Reviews

2008 Nissan Versa Review Ratings

• Rank your car

• Performance:3.4 out of 5 stars3.4 out of 5 stars3.4 out of 5 stars3.4 out of 5 stars3.4 out of 5 stars 3.4 / 5
  • Appearance:3.4 out of 5 stars3.4 out of 5 stars3.4 out of 5 stars3.4 out of 5 stars3.4 out of 5 stars 3.4 / 5
  • Build Quality:4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars 4 / 5
  • Overall: 3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars 3.9 / 5

PROS
"price" 4 reviews
"space" 3 reviews
CONS
"suspension" 2 reviews
"small space" 2 reviews
"interior" 2 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 19 2008 Nissan Versa reviews.

deadbabecafe writes:
deadbabecafe

A Mobile Sofa In A Box — I have recently had the opportunity to drive the new 2008 Versa S Hatchback as a rental car from Enterprise while my del Sol is undergoing body repair. My overall impression of the car is that while it is very roomy for its size and boasts a 1.8L DOHC engine and 'comfortable seats', it may not be all it's cracked up to be. For starters, I'll consider the aspects of the car that agree with. The seats are rather like sections of a large, strategically contoured sofa. While they undoubtedly support a broad range of body types, I happen to be a slim person, so as a result the seats do not provide the type of support I am used to. Nevertheless, I would recommend the seats for individuals of more significant build. Overall, the car is clean in appearance. The engine is covered by a pleasing arrangement of contoured plastic. The interior is adorned by a strongly textured (albeit not unattractive) headliner. The console and compartments are contemporary. Panels on the dashboard have a brushed metal look, and the instruments take the form of three cylinders. Dials and gauges are always backlit, even without the headlights on, and this combined with the shielding provided by the cylindrical walls makes them sharp and clear. The car boasts plentiful legroom and headroom, even in the back seat. Four large and/or lanky people would be able to sit comfortably in the car, and three smaller to average-sized individuals would find the back seat accommodating. There are cupholders to spare, seats and headrests are adjustable, the steering wheel is tiltable, and there is even a sensor to determine whether the passenger airbag should be on, based upon the mass of the occupant. Sounds are unintrusive to the ear. Engine noise is very isolated from the cabin. Road noise is negligible. The car beeps precisely and patiently when a door is left open, lights are left on, or the driver's seatbelt has not been fastened. The cargo area is small with the rear seats upright, but can be expanded. A tonneau cover normally shields the trunk from the cabin, but can be removed. The hatch is easy to operate and opens with very little force, thanks to hydraulics and a sensitive button. And now for the bad news... The car's suspension leaves much to be desired during normal (especially highway) driving. Understeer is exaggerated, despite the amount of car present behind the engine, and steering is a bit vague. This fact becomes readily noticeable on the highway. The car is susceptible to wind gusts because of its tall stature, which creates the need to correct steering with the wind. The steering has some difficulties remaining centered (possibly due to bump steer). This brings me to the suspension. Springs and dampers are fairly soft. The ride is smooth and absorbs bumps very well, but overall the car feels bigger than it actually is. Because of the vagueness of the steering, it is not as agile as one would expect. Despite this, it is admittedly capable of heavy cornering. I must cite an occasion when I successfully frightened off a Subaru Legacy sedan while taking a > 180-degree decreasing radius on ramp. Another feature that annoyed me is the low tire pressure warning light. When I picked up the car, the light was on. The enterprise employee checking the car over took it to Meineke to ensure correct tire pressure, and he assured me that everything was fine. Despite this, the light DOES NOT GO OFF. Perhaps this is due to a lessee slamming into a curb, but I noted no visual damage to the car whatsoever, which had under 3300 miles on it when I began driving it. This could be an issue that needs to be worked out by Nissan. The automatic transmission in this car does a poor job of disproving the "slush box" classification. Shifting out of first gear is extremely, extremely delayed, usually falling around or higher than 3000 RPM for normal city driving. This could be due to the fact that the car is rather underpowered (I solo drag-raced a 2008 5-speed Scion xD with three occupants and lost, with a head start). Shifting is unpredictable and always delayed. There is the (1-2) option to use first and second gears exclusively, and overdrive may be turned off, but the uses for these features are rare and limited. Fuel economy is not spectacular. I get better gas mileage in my 1993 del Sol (with a short ram intake and stainless steel exhaust headers). I averaged about 200 miles to a tank in the city, which equates to 20 mpg, and I am a mostly conservative driver. In conclusion, the car does well for its price range. The one I drove can be priced at approximately $14,500, and yet it felt like a small Altima or Sentra on the inside. Additionally, the car can be drifted with a bit of finesse and skill around an empty, icy airport parking lot without loss of control or rollover...although the fuel level gauge will be thrown off for a few moments until gasoline pools back into the bottom of the tank. Thanks for reading and I hope this helped.

Owner for 0 years, 1 months

Miles Driven per Year:500

Versa
Looking for a Used Versa in your area?
CarGurus has 22,364 nationwide Versa listings starting at $2,990.
Margaux writes:
Overall:

Pros

ease of use, exterior styling, interior styling, comfort, pick up, price

Cons

lack of sportiness, smaller hatchback

My 2008 "violet" The Versa — My newly purchased 2008 Nissan Versa S hatchback is a quirky and fun car to drive. I chose the Versa after I had researched extensively and even test drove the Suzuki Aerio, Scion xa, VW Golf/GTI, Toyota Yaris, and Chevy Aveo. I decided against the xa and yaris because they both had the driving "dials" located in the center column of the dashboard. I am too much of a lead foot and didn't think for safety reason the spedometer was in a good location in the car. It looks like Scion has learned though because on the new 2008 xd that have moved the driving "dials" back to the left driver's side. My Versa stands out in a parking lot. I don't see it as much as the other hatchbacks although it's body style reflects that of a Mazda 5 or 3 hatchback and maybe some Pontiac Vibe thrown into the mix too. I especially like the front and back lights and the way the hatchback looks on the Versa. I also feel taller in the Versa than I did in my Honda Civic. I have great visability between the two oversized side mirrors and a wide front windshield and smaller rhombus styled back windshield. The interior is the selling point though! The minute I saw the inside of a Versa - I knew it was what I would buy. The seats are covered with a soft faux-microsuede material and they are oversized, plush bucket seats. They feel like you are sitting on a sealy posterpedic mattress practically! The driving "dials" are situated nicely in big simple circles on the driver's side and the accessories panel is laid out in the middle of the dash with a fairly decent factory stereo with a mp3 cd player. There are big dials for the ac/heat and a simple sliding bar for the inside/outside air function; one of the standard features on the Versa is a HEPA air filter in the ac/heating system. My Versa came with some upgraded features including power windows & power locks which means it has DEEP door pockets on either side up front and they even have drink holders in them, I also have cruise-control. But even on the standard S package Versa, you get two interestingly placed but effective cupholders in the middle of the two seats, as well as middle divider that has a bunch of what I call "little cubbies" - and further on towards the back, there are another 2 drink holders, so 6 drink holders in all! This car just screams road trip! Moving onto the back seats...WOW! You would never know that a car this 'compact' would be so spacious in the back seat. Even with Sam in the driver's seat (he's almost 6'), the passengers in the back seat would still have the legroom that my parent's mini-van has! Each right & left passenger seat in the back has its own headrest and 3-point seatbelt, and even the middle passenger in the back has a 3-point seatbelt! I have yet to ride in the back but my passenger's have told me that it's a cozy, soft ride back there. The hatchback is a little small for what I'd ultimately like to do with it but it will suffice for sure and offers me more versatility than a sedan trunk. The only other complaint I have with it is that the backseats don't fold down flush with the hatchback; they fold forward instead and so a little "lip" is created so it makes it harder with bulkier stuff, so like a 27" tv per se. Lastly, the handling is easy as pie and very responsive. I have no trouble getting it up to 60mph and it doesn't rev very high either, maybe the low 3,000 rpm range. The steering is reminscent of my Nissan 240sx's steering which was "loose" but very accurate, it allows for more manuvering I feel like. I don't know how something could be loose and yet tight but the Versa's steering is definitely that. It is simple to make turns and I don't feel much body roll when I make them. The 15" tires definitely give the car a very steady feel and making even sharp turns doesn't make the tires squeal. I know I couldn't race a bmw or even a Scion tc in this car but it definitely contends with my stock Honda Civic and I would hope so since it's at 122hp and 127-lbs. of torque; it has more 'gaux' power than your standard 4-banger car. Oh yea, and I get great gas mileage even being somewhat of a lead foot. I filled my Versa up last Saturday (11/1) when I bought it and I still have a 1/4 of a tank left today, a full week later. Nice!! :) All in all, this car suits me to a T. I love the ease of use of it, all of the features, the comfort of it, and most of all the fact that it was inexpensive.

Ryan3171 writes:
Overall:

Pros

More power than competitors
+ Available upscale features
+ Fuel economy with CVT
+ Interior space
+ Price

Cons

Modest road presence
- ABS not standard

Reliable, Comfy, And Fuel Efficient — What more can you ask for in a car? this car is great. It's stylish yet simple. My biggest recomendation is to get the CVT tranny though. The 4 auto isnt that great. Compare both in a test drive and you'll see what Im saying.

Ryan writes:
Overall:

Pros

Clean, smooth opperation. High build quality.

Cons

Floaty suspension.

Cute Little Runabout. — This is a great little hatch for practical use. The performance isn't fantastic, but it feels well engineered and everything is put together solid and works like a German clock. The only thing I didn't like was that the suspension felt too disconnected. That, combined with the futuristic looking interior, makes driving the Versa sort of like being in a little space pod. If the Versa were to have a personality, it would be nice and polite. This was the only car I've ever rented that I actually sort of missed when I gave it back.

Jon writes:
2008 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback Review
Overall:

Pros

Almost everything

Cons

One thing I don't like, but it is minor: that tire gauge light that comes on when there's something a little wrong with a tire. Also: moisture condenses on inside in winter, but that is because I live in Cleveland!

Great Little Car! — I bought this car in Cleveland on a Friday in December 2007, and on Saturday and Sunday we had major snow. That was fun, buying a small car having no idea how it would handle in really bad weather. I was thrilled when it just plowed through everything. I miss the Nissan Frontier pickup I traded in on it for hauling purposes, but other than that, I've been very pleased with it. It gets me where I need to, carries what I need to carry, is comfortable, gets good mileage, has required no maintenance other than oil changes, and it is definitely fun to drive. I like the way it looks, and it seems to be of good construction. Accelerates well, brakes work fine, handles very well on curves. No complaints! Well, maybe a couple of small ones - see below.

Michael writes:
Overall:

Pros

its the best deal

Cons

the drive-by-wire system doesnt offer much feel

Its Beter Than The Smart Car, Fit,and Yaris; Cheaper Too — this car was built for the small entry level "psuedo K-car" market in the US. It get the best real world MPG in its class and has the most passenger room. its also the least expensive of the other cars in its class. I like it.

Kevin writes:
2008 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback Review
Overall:

Pros

Good value for money

Cons

rear drum brakes

Tiny Versa Review — Good value for the money, well equiped for its price, no cost cutting on equipments. Good fuel economy, can get 36.8mpg max. Handles OK, brakes are good, brake force is linear with pedal pressure. Electric Power steering maybe overboosted, too light. Steering ratio too big, 18:1

vocalstud69 writes:
vocalstud69

Awesome. — I'm 6'6, and I didn't think I'd fit in this car, but I do. It goes fast when needed to and has an incredible turning radius. I love it, except for not having a mp3 Cd player. Would recommend it without the mp3 player anyway. For the price, its wonderful.

Owner for 0 years, 1 months

Miles Driven per Year:5,000

Adam writes:
Overall:

Pros

Spacious interior, quick steering and low torque curve make it kinda fun to drive. 35 mpg too. Not a Prius.

Cons

It looks like a shoe,

Not A Penalty Box. — Cheap to own, very spacious inside, quick steering and jumpy throttle make it fun to drive. Not something you'd take around the Nurburgring, and it has all the sex appeal of a shoe. But hey, it's my wife's so I don't have to drive it everyday. Still miss my BMW though.

Jonathan writes:
2008 Nissan Versa S Review
Overall:

Pros

Nice to drive, handles good, low ownership costs

Cons

Build quality is lousy, noisy on highway, engine strained on highway speeds

If Only This Car Were Made Elsewhere... — The Versa is a nice addition to Nissan with a somewhat cheerful looking car. There's quite a lot to like about this car and only a few things wrong. To drive the Versa is actually quite good. The steering feel is only a tad light from my ideal steering feel for this sort of car. Handling on this small car feels fine. The engine has some pep despite being made for fuel economy. The engine however does become noisy and feels strained when going 100 km/h or more. This is my favourite part about the car. The interior is alright, not the greatest but it could be like a Chrysler interior which is terrible. The plastics on the Versa are not as high quality as the Honda Fit's but quite comparable to the Yaris. Now to the worst part...the build quality. The Versas available in North America are assembled in Mexico, now I have nothing against Mexico but several of the Nissans I've driven that are made in Mexico often have loose parts or were just assembled poorly. The Versa is no exception, the gas and hood latches for instance pull a plastic string...this string often gets detached and thus making the latch pointless. These are some of the worst assembled cars I've seen and should have been deemed unacceptable by Nissan. I'm sure if it were built in the US, Canada or even better Japan none of these problems would exist, but Nissan went with cost savings over quality here. The ownership costs on the Versa are cheap, not only is it great in fuel economy but its the least expensive car you can buy now. Avoid the hubcaps though, they'll fall off eventually and are not cheap. Overall this is a good car...but its ruined by the horrible build quality.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 19 2008 Nissan Versa reviews.

Rank your car

2007 Nissan Versa Reviews

My Jet Black Versa By curt1959

Nice little car, don't expect do the 1/4 mile in 5 sec. it is after all a 4 cyl. hence the gas milage. I have the hatchback, lots of cargo room. fold the back seats down and you can transport longer i... Read More

Fun To Drive By Pitusa

Overall this is a great car I would recommend to anyone if your into low maintaince, great fuel economy & maybe a family of 4-2 being children it's great, if you have a bigger family this car is not f... Read More

Read all 24 2007 Nissan Versa reviews

2009 Nissan Versa Reviews

Black Bullet By bmi201092

I loved my car since day one I got it . It's been very reliable, attractive, very economic and powerful. I never regretted buying that car. But however it would've been alot better if it had a sunro... Read More

Low Cost. High Reliability! By dwoot2001

Really fun car. We've had zero maintenance needs in the first 4 years. Smooth as can be. The whole negative is the small size, but you certainly enjoy the fantastic gas mileage. Easy buy. New cars com... Read More

Read all 12 2009 Nissan Versa reviews

2010 Nissan Versa Reviews

Easy, Fun, Budget-friendly Car! By HGoodwin5

This is definitely one of the best cars I've ever owned! Nice looking exterior and very spacious interior- I could easily fit 5 adults. It gets incredible gas mileage and is very peppy for a 4-cyl. Th... Read More

Perfect, Budget-friendly Car! By HGoodwin5

This has been one of the best cars I've ever owned! I really love how inexpensive it is to maintain- I've never spent more than $40 for a tank of gas, even on empty. It has an incredible amount of int... Read More

Read all 5 2010 Nissan Versa reviews

2011 Nissan Versa Reviews

Expected Performance, Great Look By tillie_b

Love it. Handles well. Looks great. Love the hatchback. It's a good SUV replacement with better gas mileage. Works for trips to Home Depot. Little things like the hatchback button instead of lat... Read More

Read all 2011 Nissan Versa reviews

2012 Nissan Versa Reviews

Good Commuter Car. Very Practicle. By txsmoke

Purchased this car for commuting to work. It is a perfect commuter car. I'm not really impressed or disapointed with this vehicle. It is very reliable and great on fuel. could be a great family car al... Read More

Money Saver. I Changed To This Car And Noticed Immediate Savings In Gas. Very Content. By erniejtorres

This car is great. I loved the space, accommodations, and the general smooth ride of the CVT. I would recommend this to new drivers and to women. The overall aesthetics of the car isn't as sporty as I... Read More

Read all 4 2012 Nissan Versa reviews

People researching a 2008 Nissan Versa contacted a dealer about

2008 Nissan Versa, exterior, manufacturer
Nissan Versa
Honda Civic
Toyota Camry
Nissan Altima
Versa
Looking for a Used Versa in your area?
CarGurus has 22,364 nationwide Versa listings starting at $2,990.