2006 Hyundai Sonata User Reviews

2006 Hyundai Sonata Review Ratings

• Rank your car

• Performance:4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars 4.2 / 5
  • Appearance:4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars 4.2 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars 4.3 / 5
  • Overall: 4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5

PROS
"handling" 8 reviews
"storage" 7 reviews
CONS
"interior" 4 reviews
"doors" 3 reviews
"steering" 3 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 37 2006 Hyundai Sonata reviews.

wardf writes:
Overall:

Pros

Comfortable, versatile, good handling  economic vehicle

Cons

No real negatives, it has preformed.

wardf

Better Than Nice — Car has been a value. Reliable, quality transportation. Rate it up with the higher priced luxury cars. Good looks for an 8 year old car even by today's standards. Not overly costly to maintain. Repairs can be accomplished by independent garages at a reasonable cost. Decent gas mileage for a six cylinder.

Sonata
Looking for a Used Sonata in your area?
CarGurus has 63,731 nationwide Sonata listings starting at $1,800.
barbie_sitter40 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Great Fuel Economy and Very Dependable!

Cons

Not a Sports Car!

barbie_sitter40

Great Little Gas Saver — Love this car! Great fuel economy in or out of town. No issues at all and very dependable. I think it looks good and have gotten many compliments from family and friends. I would definitely purchase another Hyunday Sonata! Awesom!

BrandonCandee writes:
Overall:

Pros

Comfortable for long commutes, good gas mileage, extra bells and whistles for a car this affordable, great power, large trunk.

Cons

Trunk release only releases latch (doesn't physically open the trunk)

BrandonCandee

Comfortable Ride For Long Commutes — The car accelerates, brakes and handles well. It is a very safe car with child restraints and airbags (including a front passenger seat automatic off for light passengers, AKA - kids). I've owned many Accords and Civics and I would compare it with them - Hyundai has really improved their reliability in the last 15 years. I expect this car to reach into the 300K range like the Hondas I've owned.

Cousin Charlee writes:
Overall:

Pros

good average speed, high top end,  lack of a governing chip,  large trunk, smooth ride.

Cons

gauges seem a little out of date, bulbs and such burn out easily,  not really great on gas.

My Sonata Short As I Can Get. — Overall a good car in and out. Performance on the car is very good with six-teen inch stock rims riding on Falken ZE-329 rubber. 0-60 mph is in a fairly good range and equals in or around vehicles 5,000 dollars and above more. It equals my brothers TL and is faster than a BMW Z4 automatic V-6. May not sound like much but with it's weight, smooth ride, and quiet functioning it's really a steal for the money. Even after newer better looking models come out 2006 models are still wanted over the newer models. This is a feat considering newer models have better motors. Items included in package are in dash cd player with mp3 capability, a very spacious trunk, room enough for five adults, and much more. All around a great package that can run 155 mph without a hint of effort.

shrikant_1st writes:
Overall:

Pros

Smooth Ride in all condition weather

Cons

N/a

shrikant_1st

The Comfortable Car — I had a awesome experience with this car, I used it for daily commuting for 4 years with an occasional road trip. It is by far the best family car I have owned. I have it regularly serviced at our local Hyundai dealer and I have experienced only one tail light issue . Otherwise...zero problems. It is a joy to drive on the highway or twisty back roads. I am on my second set of tires and brakes. This week I will replace the original battery. We fully intend to keep this car forever, God willing.

lorn13 writes:
2006 Hyundai Sonata GL Review
Overall:

Pros

It has a spacious interior and a huge trunk.

Cons

Fuel efficiency is not as great as other smaller sedans, but we have always needed the extra space and added safety features, which makes up for the difference.

lorn13

A Smooth Riding Family Car — We love driving it, and it provides a very effortlessly smooth ride. It gives me great peace of mind with the 6 airbags that surround our family at all times. It also has a great stability control mechanism, that compensates for unforeseen issues encountered on the road, such as speed around a turn or slick road conditions.

Cody writes:
Overall:

Pros

Performance, Stock MP3 Radio, wheel mounted controls

Cons

No track skip for CDs on steering wheel, price of keeping the flipping car at younger ages

My Sonata — This car overall is amazing. I have the 3.3 litre version and it is just peppy as hell. It has more than enough get up and go for any situation. The stock radio is up to par, and this is if you have the MP3 player CD deck. Sadly the head unit is the only thing left audio wise that is stock the rest is aftermarket. Infinity 6.5s all around and 2 12 inch audiobahns in the trunk...sounds great. I would say check the price of owning it as far as insurance goes, I am 22 and a good deal for me stands around 148 a month most other places wanted 220 plus a month and i do not have any tickets or accidents. The car its self is amazing and very solidly built. Get one if you have the opportunity to or at leaste take one for a drive.

Jaaron127 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Smooth, comfortable ride. Strong, but quiet V6. Big car volume in a medium car package. Many standard safety features.

Cons

Poor quality paint and materials. Hyundai spent the development budget on safety features and left the material quailty for last.

Jaaron127

Reliable Mechanically, Disappointing Cosmetically — I have owned this car for almost seven years now and have had no engine or drivetrain problems to speak of. With 83,000 miles, the V6 is still strong with good acceleration. I definitely have no complaints about this car mechanically. I can't say that about the quality of materials in this car. The seats are still comfortable, but starting to look worn. I have replaced the driver side visor twice, and the passenger side once because they broke (and not from misuse). The volume knob on the radio no longer works as it should. The second outside driver side mirror is separating at the top, creating a slight whistle when driving (the first one was replaced because of this). The paint is very delicate, chipping and scratching easily, and I have had to have the hood repainted. The trunk lid, from day one, requires a lot of muscle to lift, which is not convenient whey you have your hands full. I loved everything about this car when I bought it, and still love the way it rides and the performance of the V6. I can't say that about the rest of it. Update: The connection in the buttons for the power locks is apparently loose, as it takes several tries to get the doors to lock or unlock. I'm now up to 86,200 miles and the transmission is starting to act a little weird, but not so much I'm ready to have it looked at and deal with the "We can't duplicate the problem" excuse I hear a lot. Update 9/05/13: Now up to 92k on the ODO and no new issues to report. I am now working in a different town, driving a little farther each day, but because it is 85% highway am averaging a little over 24 mpg. Original EPA estimates for the V6 was 18/27, so it's good with the gas. Update 12/14/2014: Now up to 113,000 miles and it is still running smooth. I did have to have the lower A arm replaced this past month at just under $200, which is the most I have spent on non-routine maintenance items since I have owned the car. That's not bad. Still drives and rides like it was new, though I am ready to trade it in for a truck. I have had this car longer and put more miles on it than any car I have ever owned. Overall it has been a very good car and still is.

Ayman writes:
Overall:

Pros

Great Acceleration and Power

Cons

Bland car inside

Hyundai Sonata Review — well this hyundai has soem style , its very relable, never had many problems with it and it runs real fast I've taken it to 120 mph. Cost of Ownership is very low , only have to do regularly schedule maintenance. Fun to Drive Factor is 3/5.

Lindsey writes:
2006 Hyundai Sonata Review
Overall:

Pros

Great Gas Mileage

Cons

Nothing!

Great Car — I love my car! The performance of the car is great. I have taken it on long trips and it handles very well. Gas mileage is about 20 miles per gallon in town. I really enjoy this car and would recommend it to anyone.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 37 2006 Hyundai Sonata reviews.

Rank your car

1988 Hyundai Sonata Reviews

My Care By Marcus

It has been a very good car for me. I have had the timing belt and pistons replaced, 2 batteries, 3 set of tires, a new alternator. Nice, compact sedan type care for getting back and forth to work in.... Read More

Read all 1988 Hyundai Sonata reviews

1989 Hyundai Sonata Reviews

Good Car But Too Old Now Get Reject Sticker Now By William

I got the car for my birthday love the car, used it for school, work and for everything never broke down drove it all over the world and it still runs but now it has problem going up hills and it gets... Read More

Read all 1989 Hyundai Sonata reviews

1990 Hyundai Sonata Reviews

Dave's 1990 Sonata By David

This was my first car. My dad bought it from an auction one week after my 19th birthday. It had 82,000 miles on it when bought, and had 93,000 miles on it a month later. I had so much fun in this car ... Read More

Read all 1990 Hyundai Sonata reviews

1995 Hyundai Sonata Reviews

An Ok Car, But Not Built To Last Very Long. By Anthony

I have grown attached to this car more and more due to the rarity of it on the roads, it has all the luxiry features of a BMW or Lexus or Mercedes, it is fun to drive, especially in sport mode, 3.0 li... Read More

Not Too Bad By Cường

that is the luxury car and the first car in my life,performance is not bad, the cost is happy with me, the air cooler make me fell pleasant. I love it very much, i will chose sonata for the next car Read More

Read all 4 1995 Hyundai Sonata reviews

1996 Hyundai Sonata Reviews

Good Car By Петко

Poor Acceleration, poor brakes, good handling, It need repairs just like any other car. The exterior is good at rear but at the front of the car is ugly. Interior is good. the mileage is about 220000 ... Read More

My First New Car When Hyundai Still Had A Bad Rap..... By Joe1055

This was actually a great car. It was affordable when I just got out of college and had a low paying job, it was reliable, had a good stereo, never broke down and I got $2K back when I sold it to a pr... Read More

Read all 1996 Hyundai Sonata reviews

People researching a 2006 Hyundai Sonata contacted a dealer about

The 2006 Hyundai Sonata
Hyundai Sonata
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Toyota Camry
Sonata
Looking for a Used Sonata in your area?
CarGurus has 63,731 nationwide Sonata listings starting at $1,800.