2005 Toyota 4Runner User Reviews

2005 Toyota 4Runner Review Ratings

• Rank your car

• Performance:4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars 4.3 / 5
  • Appearance:4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars 4.7 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars 4.7 / 5
  • Overall: 4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars 4.6 / 5

PROS
"reliable car" 4 reviews
"handling" 4 reviews
CONS

Displaying 1 - 10 of 16 2005 Toyota 4Runner reviews.

monte3de writes:
Overall:

Pros

Toyota reliability, this is my 3rd 4Runner since 2002, and definitely the best so far.  The list of standard safety features is not matched by any other SUV in its class, standard Downhill Assent Control (DAC)- against every driving instinct one has on a steep downgrade and using brakes, you hit DAC and put it in NEUTRAL; automatic braking to keep from spinning out and not exceeding 5mph. Hill Assent Control- keeps you in place and not rolling back on hill w/o having to keep foot on brake.  The Sport Suspension, called XREAS, is cross linked front tire to opposite rear tire and in event tire starts to leave ground pressure is taken from linked tire to push down.  The only other SUV that has something similar is the Ford Explorer w/ RSC, but it's $1k option.  Crashes well............$12k accident w/ DUI driver and walked away w/o a scratch.  4Runners hold their value so well mine was rebuilt, almost as good as factory, but not quite!

Cons

MPG is so so, back seat is not the roomiest, no more than 2 adults or cramped, maintenance is a bit pricey, but with 4wd to be expected

monte3de

2005 Sport Edition 4wd — Dislike emissions system, esp O2 and Air/Fuel Ratio sensors. Mine went to dealer 5 times before, I, figured out what diagnostics could not. When those sensors go bad it disables vehicle stability control, skid control, and suspension cannot work properly. Both CATS replaced under warranty at $1800 each, problematic in 4.0L 4Runners. The V8 is much more fun, had in my 2003 4Runner and mpg too close to notice!

4Runner
Looking for a Used 4Runner in your area?
CarGurus has 9,843 nationwide 4Runner listings starting at $1,595.
Chris writes:
Off-Road:
Safety:
Snow/Ice:
Overall:

Pros

Everything is awesome but the gas mileage, unless you are going over 75mph, then it gets 23mpg.

Cons

Brakes are expensive to replace and precats and cats go bad, very costly to replace

2005 Sport Edition — This is 4Runner number 3 for me, so that should tell you I love them. I am so happy she is mine free and clear. Her name is Kaimera, which means Ice Ship or Protector, she is definitely the second. 4Runners are built for safety, I know first hand after a $15800 accident I walked away from w/o a scratch. She was not totaled, but fixed. The emissions on this 4Runner is troublesome! Was to dealer 5 times for unknown problem, I had to find other owners online to see the O2 sensors and Air/Fuel Ratio Sensors act up you lose Vehicle Stability Control, Skid control, and big loss of power and mpg! 3/10/2015 Kai is about to hit 195k miles. Everything has been pretty simple to keep up except for brakes and exhaust. Even Toyota service representative recommended using an aftermarket caliper as Toyota Calipers lock and fail early. I fixed the catalytic convertor problems by putting Magnaflow cats on. Gives her a bit more of a rumble. I also put an open air intake and made the hood scoop functional. Yes it is actually a real hood scoop if you take out the insert which blocks the scoop opening. What a nice growl she has and the motor runs a little cooler with air actually coming in hood scoop. I know other 4Runner owners probably wonder whats under her hood. HID headlights make a huge difference at night, so you SHOULD get them for your 4Runner. I bought mine on ebay for $35 and dealer installed for $100, no problems with lights and I have had them in for over 5 years!

Sammielandis13 writes:
Overall:

Pros

I absolutely love this SUV. It is the best car I have ever owned.

Cons

None.

Sammielandis13

Five Stairs Through And Through! — This is the absolute best car ever. I would recommend this SUV to families, who are on the go. It's great on gas mileage. Handles well. Maintenance is reasonable. Easy to drive. Safe all around. Great for commuting or for a drive up to the mountains.

doryc11 writes:
2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited V6 Review
Overall:

Pros

My favorite 4Runner, loved how it handled and rode.  It gave excellent service, very dependable and got great gas milage.

Cons

None

doryc11

Loved It And Hated To Sell It — I would recommend the '05 Toyota 4Runner Limited to anyone. I took very good care of this vehicle and it never gave me any problems. I hated to sell it but I decided to buy a newer one and I did not need 3 since I still have my '88 4Runner. I know it will serve it's new owners well if they take care of it.

Amglover193 writes:
2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8 Review
Overall:

Pros

Comfortable ride

Cons

horrible gas milage

Amglover193

4runner — I enjoy the space my 4runner provides. It has a lot of power and is very comfortable. I hate the gas miliage. I have also had lots of problems with the brakes on my 4runner. If you don't mind the horrible gas.miliage its a good ride.

bobbyh09 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Great in the snow and mud. smooth ride for an suv.

Cons

Fuel economy, Maintenance cost.

bobbyh09

Great Suv And Very Dependable — I like this vehicle all around its great for everything, long trips, towing, hauling, inside hauling space. Everything about this rig is great. I don't think you could go wrong buying one. I wish I had a newer model. Good luck.

oceancross writes:
Overall:

Pros

Very neat car,comfortable, in perfect shape and fun to drive!!

Cons

Fuel economy.

oceancross

Excellent Car! — This 4Runner is in excellent condition. The engine is strong and powerful, the transmission shifts well and the power features work perfectly. More so, this SUV is well equipped with AM/FM stereo, CD player, ice cold a/c, power windows, power rear hatch window, power locks, power mirrors, cruise control, and much more! Wow! What a great SUV!

Matthew writes:
2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8 Review
Appearance:
Overall:

Pros

Power

Cons

Gas MIleage

Great Suv — I tell everyone that i know that they should be buying a 4Runner. best vehicle that i have ever owned. just towed my 800 lb. suzuki M109R from DC to VT and had no power problems but has mileage took a dive. went from around 20 mpg to 15 just by hooking up the trailer.

Mark writes:
2005 Toyota 4Runner Limted V8 4WD Review
Appearance:
Overall:

Pros

Great acceleration, features, build quality, goes through anything, reliability, its a Toyota!

Cons

Gas mileage, headroom

Best Suv Out There! — The exterior looks great. Ride quality is smooth on paved roads for an SUV with a rear live axle. Handling is great with the XREAS and not top heavy for its height. The V8 is fast and has plenty of torque to pull anything. The interior design is alright with the black marble trim and leather. The 4Runner is packed with features like dual zone auto climate control, power everything, auto headlights, heated seats, adjustable ride height, and navigation system. The seats are low to the ground, but I find them comfortable. Headroom can be a little more generous, but it doesn't prevent me from loving this truck! I definitely would recommend the 4Runner to anybody.

carymc21 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Plenty of room. Handles great for an SUV.  Has great power.  I like to get up and go and it does it with no problem. I feel like my children and I are 100% safe in this car.  It is still in great condition for 7 years old with two kids.  It's comfortable. And very reliable.  I have never had 1 problem with my car.

Cons

With this economy and gas prices as they are. Gas millage hurts for the daily drive I have.

carymc21

Nice Rig — I love love love my 4runner and hate to get rid of it. She has been very reliable and safe for my children and I. I can no longer afford the gas millage it gives me though. It's a very clean car, with a lot of gumption for those who like to get on it. I always have felt very safe in my car.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 16 2005 Toyota 4Runner reviews.

Rank your car

1984 Toyota 4Runner Reviews

Most Reliable Car Ever By Jeanette

This car has been evrywher and done everything. Over 420,000 kms on the clock and still going strong. Read More

Read all 1984 Toyota 4Runner reviews

1985 Toyota 4Runner Reviews

A Low Cost Burley Offroader With Good Fuel Economy. Reliable! By Dingus

Fun exploring vehicle. Gets me everywhere without costing a bunch in gas and repairs. I recommend gussets, high steer, lift, lockers, regearing, heavy duty emu spring, etc... for more serious offroad ... Read More

Toyota Tuff. By Devynne

I like that it is a tank.but its get-up-and-go not so good, deff not an interstate go-er. appearence: we had it painted not to long ago and we're about to interior stuff but it's still in great condit... Read More

Read all 4 1985 Toyota 4Runner reviews

1986 Toyota 4Runner Reviews

Bad By Christopher

The handling sucked it had no power no off road abilities it was really bad for snow and ice and rain for that matter it was OK for goi to work n back but not much else it had a five speed in it Read More

I Love My Toy. (just Not Rich Enough To Treat It Right) By Sloth

project truck 22re auto on 31's. Warm weater only! (body like swiss cheese) was daily driver but started to fall apart. needs: full front end upgrade (its all shot) brake work (one day they quit wor... Read More

Read all 11 1986 Toyota 4Runner reviews

1987 Toyota 4Runner Reviews

Love The 4runner ! By Mike

For my use , which is mostly as an off roader and commuter , it's power is enopugh . i don't tow anything bigger than a utility trailer . Off road , it's hard to beat ....the locking hubs and low gear... Read More

I Will Not Sell This Car As Long As I Can Fix It - So Far So Good! By mshields8

This is the only new car I've ever bought because it has been a great drive. When new the only problem was faulty thermostats - once I swithed from Toyota replacements no problems. Head gaskets went... Read More

Read all 12 1987 Toyota 4Runner reviews

1988 Toyota 4Runner Reviews

Awesome Trail Rig By namze

Well not sure how it is stock but my setup was great! Decent gas mileage. Not a lot of power but enough to do the job I wanted. Lots of room in the front seats and back seats. Removable back top was g... Read More

Boom! By David

She's pretty great. Came with 250,000 miles on her. Just took the motor apart to change the timing belt and it was clean as a whistle! New owner to anything besides Volkswagen for the most part and ... Read More

Read all 7 1988 Toyota 4Runner reviews

People researching a 2005 Toyota 4Runner contacted a dealer about

Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Highlander
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Tacoma
4Runner
Looking for a Used 4Runner in your area?
CarGurus has 9,843 nationwide 4Runner listings starting at $1,595.