2005 Subaru Outback User Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback Review Ratings

• Review your car

• Performance:3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars 3.9 / 5
  • Appearance:4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars 4.3 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 / 5

PROS
"awd" 8 reviews
"handling" 7 reviews
CONS
"tires" 2 reviews
"light" 2 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 25 2005 Subaru Outback reviews.

John writes:
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited Wagon Review
Appearance:
Overall:

Pros

Power, power, more power.  Looks great, reliability.

Cons

Clutch/gearbox, nautical handling

Speed Can Forgive Many Sins... But Not All. — Bought used with 40K miles. Pros: Stupid fast for a station wagon. Looks sharp, zero problems with it. Hauls gear... and ass. Nice, upscale interior. Storage is adequate, but not great. Off-road chuckability is actually pretty good (but how often does that happen?). Cons: Turbo is thirsty for 91 octane (21 mpg combined), nautical handling (the standard Legacy wagon is far superior), clutch is grabby and temperamental, gearbox feels like a stick in a bucket of rocks. Could use more legroom. Needs a telescoping steering column (and it got one in the '08 model year). Meh: Stereo is only OK - sad excuse for a subwoofer (resides under the driver's seat - and only succeeds in tickling your butt; providing audible bass is a secondary concern). A bit thin on creature comforts - has heated power front seats, heated mirrors and windshield wipers... and that's about it. Oh yeah, and giant moonroof, which they forgot to tint so you absolutely bake in the sun when the shade is open. The remote key fob triggers way too easily, you can't lock/unlock all the doors using just the key, and the controls are straight-up basic (not a bad thing, but lacks gadgetry for the gadget geek). Overall: The OBXT is a hoot to drive because of the thrusty turbo alone. The handling leaves lots to be desired, and the ride is only adequate. If fuel economy is important and you don't need gobs of power, a standard 2.5i model would be the wiser choice... better yet, a Legacy - but they quit making the wagon version in '08 (boo!). It fits my needs for now, and the fuel economy isn't oppressive (yet), but there's more versatile options out there. If you must have AWD, the Audi A4 2.0T is a much better driver and gets better mileage to boot, but sacrifices some interior space and has had lousy reliability. Reliability: Excellent, except for the wheel bearings - which Subaru has owned up to and extended the warranty, so it hasn't cost me a dime. Subaru also found that turbos were getting toasted without severe-duty oil change intervals, so in addition to running premium, I get to change Mobil 1 synthetic every 3750 miles too.

Outback
Looking for a Used Outback in your area?
CarGurus has 14,676 nationwide Outback listings starting at $1,299.
2005XT_Tom writes:
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited Wagon Review
Overall:

Pros

Best AWD system in the country.

Cons

Tires a little noisy when cold.

2005XT_Tom

Brings Back The Driving Fun. — Best all around versatility in a SUV. It has all the features I would ever need in a vehicle in it's class and with off road capability to take me to my favorite fishing and hunting spots in PA. I enjoy driving again. Purchased from Chardon Motors and got a GREAT deal. License Plate lights went out, wasn't the bulbs but easy fix. I get about 25 +MPG with a K&N air filter and new NGK Iridium Laser spark plugs..

SaratogaPaul writes:
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 i Limited Wagon Review
Appearance:
Overall:

Pros

AWD

Cons

Not as roomy inside as we would have hoped

SaratogaPaul

My Wife Loves It And We Think It Was A Good Value — We think it is a great safe car that gets decent milage (@ 35k, we have been averaging 25 miles/gallon, which I think is good considering she uses the remote car start every morning to warm-up the car and she drive in heavy traffic to/from work)

Owner for 2 years, 0 months

Miles Driven per Year:18,000

kanoer54 writes:
Long Trips:
Parking:
Snow/Ice:
Visibility:
Overall:

Pros

The 2005 Outback 2.5i is agreat car. I just bought my sixth Subi.  Handles quite well especially on snow.   Very economical.  I get around 28-30 MPG almost all of the time.  Very reliable.  Never been stranded.

Cons

Catalytic convertor sensors flip the check engine light to on,  which prevents the cruise control from working.   Dummest thing I ever heard of.  But that is about the only bad thing I can think of.

kanoer54

Excellent. Love The Subi's So Much I Just Bought My 6th One....used But Well Loved — Love everything about the 05 Subi. Very comfortable vehicle. Very user friendly. Performance is fine. Everything I need to get around in an economical vehicle. Maintenance is very low and economical. I spent less on this vehicle with almost 200,00 miles than my friends do on theirs with less than half the mileage.

69ragtop writes:
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 i Limited Wagon Review
Long Trips:
Safety:
Snow/Ice:
Overall:

Pros

Great handling, quick, and easy on gas consumption.

Cons

I wish it was a little roomier.

69ragtop

All-around Winner. — I love that it is one of the safest cars on the road for all passengers. It is a fun little wagon that is easy to drive in all weather conditions. This is my fourth Subaru that I have owned, and I will always drive one.

TK_Pilot writes:
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R Review
Overall:

Pros

I love this car, my daily driver.  Will get me through any weather!  It handles like a dream, very fast, quiet and comfortable for the family

Cons

fuel mileage very poor for a 4 door sedan.  (16mpg-20mpg)

TK_Pilot

Best Car I Ever Owned — Fun to drive and easy to work on..... Love the Subaru H6 3.0 horizontally opposed engine. I was called to work during snow storm. The roads had 7 inches of un-plowed snow. The tires were 75% worn and this car handled the trip no trouble at all. Very Dependable!

ccravotta3 writes:
Overall:

Pros

All-wheel drive. Excellent mid-size family vehicle. Reliable. Low maintenance. Good handling. Cargo capacity with roof rack good for kayaking and biking.

Cons

Nothing wrong with this car. Can not access spark plugs and other parts of engine easily.

ccravotta3

Reliable. — Versatile all purpose, good value vehicle. All wheel drive wagon with roof racks, good gas mileage, perfect for outdoor adventures like kayaking, biking, hiking. Maintenance has been minimal to date, but head gaskets and bushings now recommended to be replaced.

Corey writes:
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Wagon Review
Overall:

Pros

The power that comes from the 4 Cyl Turbo Boxer

Cons

Maintenance and parts are $$$

Absolutely Fun To Drive On And Off Road — What else is there to say, it's a Subaru, fun to drive on and off road, and has never let me down on even it's worst day... Lots of work has gone into this car to make it mine. Just need a bigger car for a growing family.

David writes:
Overall:

Pros

The flat boxster four-cylinder is fun to drive, and the low center of gravity and AWD make for great handling.  It is a driver's car.  Lots of room for storage, and excellent trim level.

Cons

It is a few inches narrower than the typical American SUV, such as the Ford Escape.

An Attractive Car That Is Fun To Drive And Really Good On Gas Mileage. — The mileage is great. I averaged 23 to 24 in the city, and over 30 mpg on the highway. It handles great, and this is with 170,000 miles on it. A great car for hauling people or stuff wherever you want to go.

dingbarno writes:
Overall:

Pros

Great car. Great in snow as well as all other elements

Cons

None

dingbarno

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i — Great car all around. Never have had a problem with the car. Great in the snow. Great in the rain. Subaru Outbacks hold their value as well as any other car. Would recommend them to anyone who ever asks me!

Displaying 1 - 10 of 25 2005 Subaru Outback reviews.

Review your car

2014 Subaru Outback Reviews

Not Perfect, But A Sweet, Smart Ride By rogier

Two months ago, I bought a 2014 Outback Limited with leather seats, a moonroof, the backup camera, and the remote starter, but without the EyeSight system. The EyeSight, whose cameras are pretty clunk... Read More

Read all 2014 Subaru Outback reviews

2013 Subaru Outback Reviews

Great Car That Is Fun To Drive And Easy To Drive By Carter0027

Love just about everything. The only thing that I think could be changed is the center computer. It's next to the speedometer and it gives no important information and doesn't need to be there. It als... Read More

Good Solid Family Car With Luxury Appeal By Elissa

I upgraded my Outback with EyeSight for safety and love it! I'm convinced it's saved me from a few fender benders already. I like the roominess. But I buy Subarus (this is my fourth) for their overall... Read More

Read all 5 2013 Subaru Outback reviews

2012 Subaru Outback Reviews

Dynamic All-weather Near-luxury Powerful Performer. By Natron1971

Bought as an in-betweener car - I needed a car to commute in alone and occasionally serve as family (5 of us) hauler. I wanted style, reliability and amenities. Plus wanted all-weather capability an... Read More

Great All Around Car With Great Gas Mileage And All Wheel Drive !!! By chris121505

Like i said it is a very solid feeling ride not like a Toyota where the wheel feels to light and Flimzy, the Car feels very well planted as well as safe in types of driving. If you ever go to the Snow... Read More

Read all 4 2012 Subaru Outback reviews

2011 Subaru Outback Reviews

Good. Just Reduce The Wind And Heater Fan Noise. By OldMoparNut

Comfortable ride, lots of room inside. Probably excellent reliability for 200,ooo + miles. Good economy. Highly recommended. It is my wife's 4th Subaru, she must get to work in northern snowy are... Read More

Very Positive By photomel

I like how it handles in the snow. I also like the reliability of this car. This is my second Subaru Outback and this one was better than my 2007. I would buy this car again and would recommend to any... Read More

Read all 11 2011 Subaru Outback reviews

2010 Subaru Outback Reviews

It Works. By gratefullife

As the wife's car and primary family vehicle, it gets the job done well. We upgraded the rear sway bar to an STi bar when upgraded the other and it bolted straight up cleaning up some of the sloppines... Read More

Great Car For A Small Family By mgolan

This car is by far the best car we owned. Great handling in the winter (snow and rain) and ample space in the second row for kids. Super reliable and great re-sale value. If you are looking for a firs... Read More

Read all 16 2010 Subaru Outback reviews

People researching a 2005 Subaru Outback contacted a dealer about

Picture of 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited Wagon, exterior
Subaru Outback
Subaru Forester
Toyota RAV4
Subaru Legacy
Outback
Looking for a Used Outback in your area?
CarGurus has 14,676 nationwide Outback listings starting at $1,299.