2003 Subaru Baja User Reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 14 2003 Subaru Baja reviews.

Phoopa123 writes:
Snow/Ice:
Overall:

Pros

The timing belt was changed at 115,000 miles, shortly after I purchased the
Baja.  It is recommended for the timing belt to be changed every 100K miles.  It will
need to be changed in approximately 50K miles.  The heads were refurbished three years ago.  Every summer I charge the A/C.
Midas muffler was installed two years ago, and
the rear tire rocker arms replaced last year.

Cons

The check engine light is on and computer diagnostics indicated a faulty catalytic
converter.  The catalytic converter checked out to be OK.  I have not had the engine
light reset yet.  Some minor body rust has been repaired.  It burns some oil (no black smoke in the exhaust), which I have used engine treatment to correct.

Phoopa123

I Call The Baja My Urban Truck. — I call this 2003 Subaru Baja my "Urban Truck". Seats four people comfortably. Small bed size is perfect for trips to the hardware store or grocery store. Fold down back seats with pass through to truck bed provides versatility to carry lumber or long items. Tail Hitch allows for towing a small trailor. I have owned the Baja for approximately four years. I bought it used from a dealer and understand there was one previous owner. I have kept up the recommended maintenance schedule. Last summer, I severely injured my left foot and can no longer drive a manual transmission. I have since purchased another Baja with an automatic transmission. That is why I am selling this vehicle.

Baja
Looking for a Used Baja in your area?
CarGurus has 154 nationwide Baja listings starting at $3,995.
Amy writes:
Overall:

Pros

Small

Cons

The soft cover.

Cute Car, A Lot To Be Desired... — Cute car, but when someone describes it as a four seater, believe them! For a small car there is a lot of storage, though--INSIDE. Outside, unless you have a hard cover for the pick up, there is NO storage once the soft cover rips, which it will. Finding a hard cover is, well, hard, and when you do, you find out it cost over $600. Also, although the Boxer engine is strong, we've been told by our mechanic that if we don't replace the timing belt and it breaks, it will wreck the engine. Fuel economy is so/so.

mtdsar writes:
2003 Subaru Baja Review
Overall:

Pros

Naturally aspirated with a manual transmission is best - mileage, reliability, and maintenance wise.
Excellent mileage
Great handling
Safety
Fun Factor!

Cons

Automatic Transmission is underpowered
Go turbo if reliability, maintenance, and fuel costs are not big concerns

mtdsar

Subaru Baja - Rugged, Sporty, And Fun! — Excellent reliability, low maintenance costs, and subaru handling in the rain / snow! This is an all around great vehicle with a number of creature comforts (leather, power everything, decent stereo). Also, gets excellent gas mileage to boot! This car had a unique look and is perfect for getting you and three of your friends up to the mountain for a snow day or on a weekend camp out!

ayadori writes:
Overall:

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Power

ayadori

True Sport And Utility — Love this car, truck, cruck. Hauls anything from friends to bicycles to hunting gear, gets decent mileage, and incredible in the snow. Mechanically sound, cabin is super noisy with wind, engine is torquey but will win no drag races. Fun cruck.

carguy2 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Nice lil pick-up truck wanna be l.o.l..great in snow decent gas milage. Comfortable ride drives real nice.

Cons

Interior wind noise loud ,boxer motor shakes at times.Interior alittle tight.

carguy2

Nice Subie — Like open bed in rear, fun lil car. Premium feeling car fun to drive. Not to peppy to start but strong on highway. Solid ride feeling safe and great in snow. Would be alittle bit nicer if she sat alittle bit higher.

llrowley writes:
Overall:

Pros

Every one checks you out. I've had babes want an photo opp.

Cons

You don't drive it you wear it. If your a monster truck guy, pass

llrowley

Hard To Beat The Utility. Big Enough To Haul, Small Enough To Avoid Everyone Elses Hauling — This is the 4th Subaru vehicle I have owned and I love their dependability and the AWD feature. My 1st one was a GL 10 5 speed turbo and you could engage the 4WD on the fly. The Baja has been on my most desired list since 1989.

doctorgrm writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fun handy car

Cons

none

doctorgrm

Fun Handy Car — 14. Bought in 2003. A 2003 Subaru Baja, red/silver, 2.5L, 4-speed auto. I bought the truck new from Annapolis Subaru for the 4WD. It was a nice utility vehicle, good in the snow, good for small amounts of hauling. My son drove it for about a year before he got his Dodge Challenger.

Keith writes:
Overall:

Pros

versatility

Cons

slooooooowwww

Practical — Boring to drive but does it all could not pull your hat off in a wind storm but will never get stuck in the snow. Only fair on gas with full time all wheel drive. Would be much better with six cylinder turbo.

Nathan writes:
Overall:

Pros

Does a lot of things

Cons

Doesn't do anything real well

Fun To Drive — I Love the car, though I wish I had the Turbo model. I'm having problems with O2 sensors although I believe the catalytic converter is the root of the problem. The '03 being the first year the suspension was built more like the Outback than than new models, which have better ground clearance and a more off road look. The rear springs should be stiffer but over all the suspension setup is rock solid, not too much body roll

Kevin writes:
Overall:

Pros

all wheel drive handling and that

Cons

auto bright yellow= cop magnet

Its Yellow — great handling fun car

Displaying 1 - 10 of 14 2003 Subaru Baja reviews.

Review your car

2006 Subaru Baja Reviews

Cant Say Nothing Wrong About This Vehicle By gdavie

great car,cabin space a little tight for bigger guys,nice to get in start up and go go go,very dependable,good on gas,if you own a subby you will always be a loyal subbt owner for ever Read More

Unique ! By awesondeal

The enhancements I have added have made this Baja unique and more enjoyable to Drive. The added engine Power Package was installed professionally and has improved The sound, horsepower and torque capa... Read More

Read all 4 2006 Subaru Baja reviews

2005 Subaru Baja Reviews

Awesome! By JessiN

I pretty much love this car. The only reason I'm looking for a new car is because I need more space for kids since my family has recently went from having 1 child to 3. I would have liked to get a c... Read More

Subaru Should Start Making Baja Again They Are Very Hard To Find. By winnee

very stylish very comfy to me.i have had cars all my life this car surprises me I love it so much that I need to dress it up I will call this car the bird once it gets up to speed that,s it. Read More

Read all 7 2005 Subaru Baja reviews

2004 Subaru Baja Reviews

One's Greatest Ability Is Dependability, This Car Epitomizes That. By Allenaa

Great car with great looks, as usual Subaru quality with Subaru performance, built in the USA. Gas mileage is fair 28 MPG HWY 21 City. Turbo charged engine provide the power when you need it with good... Read More

Read all 2004 Subaru Baja reviews

People researching a 2003 Subaru Baja contacted a dealer about

Picture of 2003 Subaru Baja 4 Dr STD AWD Crew Cab SB, exterior
Subaru Baja
Subaru Forester
Subaru Outback
Toyota RAV4
Baja
Looking for a Used Baja in your area?
CarGurus has 154 nationwide Baja listings starting at $3,995.