Sign in | Register | My account |

2003 Mazda Protege5 User Reviews

2003 Mazda Protege5 Review Ratings

• Review your car

• Performance:3.7 out of 5 stars3.7 out of 5 stars3.7 out of 5 stars3.7 out of 5 stars3.7 out of 5 stars 3.7 / 5
  • Appearance:4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars 4.2 / 5
  • Build Quality:4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars 4 / 5
  • Overall: 4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5

PROS
"handling" 13 reviews
"build quality" 4 reviews
"reliable car" 4 reviews
CONS
"turbo" 3 reviews
"noise" 2 reviews
"brakes" 2 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 31 2003 Mazda Protege5 reviews.

Chris writes:
Overall:

Pros

handling, appearance

Cons

road noise

03 Mazda Protege 5 — My '03 Mazda handles like a much higher-end car. Its quite tight and responsive, with surprising power for a 4-cylinder engine. The factory stabilizer bar really adds to its handling. The exterior is as sharp as it ever was. I have always liked the eye-catching design, and the Laser Blue Mica color is still one of my faves. As the car has aged a bit, I notice some of the interior finishes not holding up as well as they should. However, Mazda has done a great job in upgrading interior materials in their more recent models. A couple of annoying and potentially expensive things have popped up, i.e. a bum airbag sensor and a sprung seat belt latch. Other than that I have spent next to nothing on this car other than normal maintenance. For my next car I plan to upgrade either to the CX-7 or CX-9.

Protege5
Looking for a Used Protege5 in your area?
CarGurus has 168 nationwide Protege5 listings starting at $3,199.
Dave writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fun to drive, Economical, Good space, reliable

Cons

Cheap options

Laser Blue Pro5 — This car was great, just reminded me too much of the economy car of which is was based. It was peppy and fun to drive. The engine provided adequate power which was enough for such a small car. I loved the colour of Laser blue and I had the Tiptronic sport tranny which i enjoyed using.

Joe writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fast, stiff clutch, great handling, great brake, a real roof rack, it fits all my gear, good mpg

Cons

Rusting....... thats it

I Love My Little Speedy Yellow Car! — I love this car. It's fast enough to get my kicks in and it can hold ALL my guitar equipment so its just the right size. It gets 27-40 mpg depending on how aggresive I drive. Also the clutch is really stiff which I love so much. It is rusting but I can't complain because it still performs.

Aaron writes:
Overall:

Pros

4  disc brakes, fog lights, stock "body kit", light clutch pedal, relatively easy to mod, pretty stiff ride for a stock car, nice cornering!

Cons

not anit-lock brakes (came as an option), nothing else really other than poor motor mounts (only reason build quality did not get 5 stars).

Mazda Says It All: Zoom-zoom — Made a nice first project car. I think I've invested too much into it...but it's too late to stop now! The car is a lot more roomy than it works. I've fit 4 adults and packed the back full without a problem. This is a great car to have, it could be faster, but then I'd just get into more trouble.

Jay writes:
Overall:

Pros

handling, size

Cons

Rust! and the seats are not comfy (lots of backaches)

5-door Grocery Getter That Feels Like A Go-kart — I bought the car new in 2003 for it's handling, looks,equipment and unparalleled value at the time. It's been a fun car, handling daily tasks well, being practical and making a good long distance companion. Now thanks to the depreciation it's worth nothing, but makes a great commuter car for the daily 905/416 struggle.

Primary Use: Utility (towing boats, transporting cargo, etc.)

anubis44 writes:
Overall:

Pros

styling

Cons

body/brakes/wheels

anubis44

I'll Never Buy Another Mazda Due To Poor Service At Dealer (i Think This Car Was A Lemon) — Purchased in Dec. '04 w/ 16k. Had vehichle rust protected by dealer since I live in ON & use salt brine in winter. Still a rust bucket. ABS/ ebrake sensors gone @ 40k. Brakes done 4x under 70k. Im thinking itsa lemon!

Denis writes:
Overall:

Pros

fun performance

Cons

nil

Don't Hit Anything — Awesome little Japanese car that perform very well against lancers, hondas etc... on all facet. it is an eye turner very well built, worry free that was fun to drive, i'd buy an other one but the Aussies don't have that model.

Jerrelle writes:
Overall:

Pros

Practicality and fun in one package

Cons

Not very fast

Absolutely A Great Vehicle To Own, Love It To Death — Quick but by no means fast, great craftsmanship and build quality, no rattling or poor components, nice color and style, cheap to own and maintain, and has lots of space and is great to drive. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Karl writes:
Overall:

Pros

good mph, good looking, fun to drive

Cons

tires are little on the pricey side, could really use a turbo version

Has Been Fun And Reliable — Thats a good combo. Been across the country, delivered newspapers, and never a major repair, outside of general service

marswife writes:
Overall:

Pros

Super responsive steering.

Cons

A little small, but suitable for short distances with five adults in it.

marswife

Sporty Hatchback With Cute Styling — Loved the car. With four doors and a hatch back we packed quite a few people and stuff in it at different times. We thoroughly enjoyed the drive. Cornered like it was on rails. Parallel parked like a dream. Super responsive steering. It was a 5-speed manual so we pulled all the power we needed, when needed. *Very* fun to drive.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 31 2003 Mazda Protege5 reviews.

Review your car

2002 Mazda Protege5 Reviews

Mazda's Little Hustler By mikey2me

The lil red cargo rocket has been my favorite Mazda of the four I've owned. It did all I ever asked of it, from hauling three huge kayaks to puddle jumping through Northwest weather. It had great stee... Read More

Nice Looking Sporty Car With Great Handeling. By MazdaPro5

This car has lots of potential for after market upgrades. It's a great looking car that handles more like a sports car than a wagon. Also has lots of upgrade potential. Also has a lot of room in th... Read More

Read all 34 2002 Mazda Protege5 reviews

People researching a 2003 Mazda Protege5 contacted a dealer about

2003 Mazda Protege5 4 Dr STD Wagon picture, exterior
Mazda Protege5
Mazda MAZDA3
Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla
Protege5
Looking for a Used Protege5 in your area?
CarGurus has 168 nationwide Protege5 listings starting at $3,199.