2002 Mazda Protege5 User Reviews

2002 Mazda Protege5 Review Ratings

• Rank your car

• Performance:3.8 out of 5 stars3.8 out of 5 stars3.8 out of 5 stars3.8 out of 5 stars3.8 out of 5 stars 3.8 / 5
  • Appearance:4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars 4.2 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars 4.1 / 5
  • Overall: 4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars 4.2 / 5

PROS
"handling" 13 reviews
"reliable car" 6 reviews
CONS
"interior" 3 reviews
"build quality" 2 reviews
"in snow" 2 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 36 2002 Mazda Protege5 reviews.

Guinness5 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fun to drive.

Cons

Not great in the snow.

Guinness5

Zoom Zoom — It is simply fun to drive. Tight corners, aggressive gearing, and low to the ground. Not great for baby car seats or driving adults in the back seats. As the car aged, it got a little louder on the highway too.

Protege5
Looking for a Used Protege5 in your area?
CarGurus has 121 nationwide Protege5 listings starting at $1,999.
JHarrison123 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Too many to list!
Perfect balance of power and fuel economy!

Cons

Parts are a smidge more than a Toyota or Honda, but way less than BMW, American or any other car!  still Japanese, inexpensive to drive!

JHarrison123

My Mazda Protege 5 — First off, it is rated 4.8 stars out of 5 on Edmunds! They only had the car for two years, very rare and popular. also if you read the reviews, you read how people regret selling their car. The stick much sportier, and a lot more fun! Better gas too! if you drive it right

mikey2me writes:

Pros

Cons

The engine was wee under-powered. You had to maintain a fairly high rev line to wring all the horses out of it. It also didn't do to well in snow. I spun a full 360 on more than one occasion. But that's just me.

mikey2me

Mazda's Little Hustler — The lil red cargo rocket has been my favorite Mazda of the four I've owned. It did all I ever asked of it, from hauling three huge kayaks to puddle jumping through Northwest weather. It had great steering, brakes, leather(if you're into that - ooh, kinky) and hauled everything I ever tried to fit in it. Overall I recommend this car enthusiastically.

MazdaPro5 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Nice looking sporty car with great handeling.

Cons

Rear wheel wells rust.

MazdaPro5

Nice Looking Sporty Car With Great Handeling. — This car has lots of potential for after market upgrades. It's a great looking car that handles more like a sports car than a wagon. Also has lots of upgrade potential. Also has a lot of room in the back with the seats folded down.

Markrswan writes:
Overall:

Pros

The car has been dependable, fun to drive with good handling and pickup, great for cargo storage with rear hatch and best of all over 30mpg fuel economy.

Cons

Repairs with dealer have tended to be expensive, EGR valve replaced twice. I've done the brakes myself, difficult. Several windows switches have problems.

Markrswan

Good Starter Car For Someone Who Wants Great Mpg And Is A Backyard Mechanic Or Knows One. — Great fuel economy, handling and pickup. Practical cargo storage with rear hatch. Good car for backyard mechanic or for someone who knows one. Was expensive to repair with dealer. Had problems with EGRValve and brakes. Good looking car. Silver, best color.

Biggplanns writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fun to drive

Cons

Small

Biggplanns

Silver Bullet — Been to four states and I've owned it since 2009 . Few trips by myself and a few with others. Love my bullet gets me where ever I need to go. AC was fixed last year and new struts the year before and brakes also. I grill a lot and everything fits in one trip

Marvin writes:
Overall:

Pros

Rides and looks good

Cons

Little slow

Very Very Nice Car — Just got the car not that long ago.But i think its the best car i have ever owned in my life.I will drive this car till the wheels fall off of it i plan on buying one more soon..I tell all my friends if there looking for a used car the find a mazda 5

Alan writes:
Overall:

Pros

Its utility.

Cons

The lift gate supports but no big deal.

Works As Good As It Looks. — Seems to get about 44 MP Imperial G @ about 98 kilometers per hour (cruise on).. I think it is an attractive 4 door car. Rear lift gate supports don't last. I'm OK with the car especially since mounting 195 - 60r 15 Triple Tread tires, they improved the general feel a great deal from the smaller tires it had when I bought it used.

Gina writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fun, handling, comfortable ride

Cons

None

Great Car For The Money...fun & Value All Rolled Into One — This car is fun to drive. It handles well. A lot of torque gets you out there. A good driver can do a lot with it. It has been relatively cheap to maintain. The only things I have done to it was add wheels and exhaust. It came with a cold air intake. I've replaced wear items...Tires, brakes, oil, timing belt, water pump, belts, & clutch. Gas mileage is about average 28 mpgs. I just enjoy driving it daily.

Cyrille writes:
Overall:

Pros

it's good torq

Cons

support moteur

Good Handling — acceleration, braking, handling is very good. The Interior is not cheep good quality and i like exterior. This car it's so fun to drive. This car is the best 2002 car of the year , is good price not to cheep

Displaying 1 - 10 of 36 2002 Mazda Protege5 reviews.

Rank your car

2003 Mazda Protege5 Reviews

Zoom! Zoom! By Screen245

This is my mothers car. She loves the look, comfort, utility, build quality, gas mileage, performance, and handling. It is just plain fun to drive. I would recommend it to anyone who is in need of a g... Read More

Love It! By amh16

I love this car. It is the first car I have owned and I still love it. Super fun to drive, looks great, can fit SO much stuff in it. I highly recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving! Read More

Read all 34 2003 Mazda Protege5 reviews

People researching a 2002 Mazda Protege5 contacted a dealer about

Picture of 2002 Mazda Protege5 4 Dr STD Wagon, exterior
Mazda Protege5
Honda Civic
Pontiac Vibe
Protege5
Looking for a Used Protege5 in your area?
CarGurus has 121 nationwide Protege5 listings starting at $1,999.