1999 Volkswagen Jetta User Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Review Ratings

• Rank your car

• Performance:3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 / 5
  • Appearance:4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars 4.1 / 5
  • Build Quality:3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars 3.9 / 5
  • Overall: 4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars 4.1 / 5

PROS
"handling" 12 reviews
"comfortable car" 5 reviews
CONS
"expensive car" 6 reviews
"expensive part" 5 reviews
"high maintenance" 3 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 49 1999 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

StephShepherd writes:
Overall:

Pros

Comfortable seating, comfortable driving, smooth riding, sport style appearance, reliable, excellent build quality

Cons

Maintenance cost can be higher price,  parts to replace if something breaks can also be expensive

StephShepherd

Excellent Car — I absolutely love my VW Jetta. Its has been a GREAT car for me. It is by far my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. It has been reliable. I feel safe driving it, ive never worried about it breaking down. I'm really looking forward to purchasing a newer model. Highly recommended!

Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 34,389 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $995.
CGtanocasr writes:
Overall:

Pros

Original parts are expensives

Cons

Safe and reliable

CGtanocasr

Enjoyable To Drive. — Overall I enjoy driving it, automatic, easy to park (medium size) ,cd player (8 cd carrier) am/fm radio, black exterior and interior, with automatic door safe look, spaced trunk for caring lugged or grocery shopping, 3 persons will be seated very comfortable on the back.

David writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GLS VR6 Review
Overall:

Pros

The Jetta is a decent car. It has really good handling in my opinion. The VR6 version has quick acceleration when you need it. Even the VR6 Model get pretty good gas mileage.

Cons

Expect high repair costs when you need to service this car. VW and Audi vehicles aren't cheap to fix. The newer models aren't easy to work on. Manufacture suggests that 91 or above (high test) for fuel. My car does not like 87 octane.

The Jetta Vr6 — I've had my VW Jetta VR6 for quite some time. I have mixed feelings about the vehicle. The car has been fairly good to me getting me from point a to point b. Unfortunately- having this car you have to have heavy repair costs then you need to fix it. Parts aren't cheap and certainly the body shop charges and arm and leg for repairs, so be prepared. If you are a do it yourself person, the VR6 its a bit tougher to work on. There's not much room in the engine bay to work it. And getting to certain things may be a pain in the ass. The VR6 is pretty quick in acceleration, and response time is almost instant. None of the sluggish non-sense. In fact, probably one of the most responsive V6 engines I've driven. So you shouldn't have a hard time evading police (just kidding), getting on the high way or passing someone when you need to. In my opinion this car has awesome handling. The VR6 actually does get pretty gas mileage- the first long trip I took was from CT to TN. High way I averaged about 34.2 miles/gal using 93 octane. Overall- this car is a good car to own. I'd only recommend it to a friend if they have the cash to keep up with repair costs when the come along the way.

Grant writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GLS Review
Overall:

Pros

Great fuel economy, well built, and not bad looking when its cleaned up.

Cons

Hugely underpowered. Back seat is a little cramped. AEG engine is rubbish.

Love And Hate. — Before buying my car I should have researched more about it. It is a great car for fuel economy, but the motor is one of the lemons of that year/model. The person that owned it before I did must have not taken care of the car for the simple fact that a lot was broken before I owned it. With the styling, what more do I need to say? Its a Jetta. As far as performance goes, you would need to spend a couple thousand dollars just to get it to the level of a good sports car. Handling and braking are decent for the price and what the car is. I can fit five people in the car fairly comfortably but long journeys may get cramped in the back seat. I love my car just for the fac tof everything that i've been through with it, but if I had my choice I would have chosen something with more power in the end.

Ben writes:
Overall:

Pros

great little car, great handling, great acceleration, smooth, you're in full control

Cons

annoying little fixes that cost lots

Great Car For The Price, But Watch For Little Defects. — its got good performance and all that jazz. runs well, no major problems, but it seems to be the little things that go wrong with it. for example the windshield wiper motor went out, and was expensive to fix. same story with the air control switch. good car, expensive minor details.

Samuel writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GL TDi Turbodiesel Review
Overall:

Pros

Very reliable, very good on gas, decently equipped for price.

Cons

Not super fast.

The Ideal Student Car. — Classic Volkswagen everything. It has typical performance for a 90hp diesel. Build quality is very good (German Engineering). As far as appearance goes I'm a huge fan of German styling and the cost to maintain it is minimal. Is it fun to drive? It is a Volkswagen so... heck yes! German cars always handle better! I love it! I would definitely recommend this vehicle.

Matty writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL Review
Overall:

Pros

quirky cuteness, for everyday use!

Cons

i hope you like changing MAF sensors!

(could Be) Perfect — A little buzzy saloon with no power. i love this cute little car and all of its inconvenient little quirks. this cars has its many ups yet plenty of downs. this car is a 50/50 chance. you either pick a good one or a mess. i was skeptical to buy the new generation of a whole new design of everything, but im kind of pleasantly surprised. i have the 2.0l inline 4 and its dreadful. it makes the whole car vibrate, shake, and rattle. its pretty unrefined, and i found it to be a german car thing, but it revs all the way up to 3000-3500 rpms before it shifts,(i guess thats why it uses so much oil!) and when it shifts its a slow abrupt one. id hate this car if it wasnt so quirky and reliable. i have banged it off almost everything in the bronx and it still drives fine. gas mileage is slightly mediocre for such engine dullness but the handling also makes up for that. it has such good sticky handling around turns but has a serious traction issue if its not 100% dry out. the trunk is huge but more space should have been given to the rear seats, because it is so tight. now here comes my main issue with the car. THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM SUCKS. if its not one random light on the dash then its another light that wont turn on in the cabin, or if i put on my turn signals or even my headlights, the radio statics really bad. the radio for some reason had static since i bought it. i thought it was just the antenna , so i bought one and it cleared a little, but still sucks. through all these times i still love it because this car is so forgiving and just so......AH! i cant describe it! i just have such a passion for this car and i love it no matter what, i plan to drive it till its dead!

Philip writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GLS VR6 Review
Overall:

Pros

Great Performance- Lots of Potential

Cons

Bad on Gas

99 Vr6 Jetta — I like the amount of torque that comes with it. You can customize these cars in so many different ways to fit your profile. There is a great official manual that the experts use to work on this car. It makes it very easy to break down your car and make the customizations yourself. I think with just some basic customizations you can make this car turn into a very sporty, fast sedan. German engineers really know what they are doing. I have 101,000 miles on my car and it actually runs better now than the day to bought it off the lot. Like I said with a few modifications to you can turn this "adorable" car into a little monster!

Trevor writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 Review
Interior Noise:
Weight:
Overall:

Pros

Excellent first time driver car. Safe and easy to drive. Plus you won't be embarrassed by it and can showoff the VR6.

Cons

The leather seating was about 85% when I first got it. Scarring on the back middle. Driver's seat bottom has one of the stitching coming out, but I can fix that with a hooked needle and high quality thread.

'99 Vdub Glx — Awesome car. Takes turn amazingly. Nice acceleration. Wicked fun. My friends fight with each other to drive when we go somewhere (Usually the carpool car too) MKIII model, I personally like the boxy look (maybe just a bias but whatever.) A lot of options to choose from to personalize. Two Bose in the back - can really pump some noise.

eaortman writes:
Parking:
Snow/Ice:
Weight:
Overall:

Pros

This Jetta has many highway miles as I drove from Kent to Columbus, and from Newark, OH to Columbus regularly for school. With that being said, the comfort and sense of security it offers is impressive. The fuel milage definitely has to be one of my favorite attributes of this vehicle, ranging from 29 city, and 37-40 on highway. In regard to its appearance, it seems to never look old or out dated. Every person that has been a passenger in my car are always surprised when I tell them that it's a 1999. They always assume it's newer. Lastly, 5-speed stick shift makes driving more exciting!

Cons

Like most older Volkswagens, they do burn oil, so it is very important to check and add oil just about every 2-3 weeks. When doing 75+ mph the engine is a little buzzy.

eaortman

A Reliable Everyday Commuter And Traveling Vehicle. — I have been very pleased with this vehicle! So much so, I am looking into purchasing a new or newer used Jetta. You get what you pay for, and what my family payed for in 1999 was a solid and reliable vehicle and I can say that in 2012, this 1999 Jetta still holds true to that.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 49 1999 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

Rank your car

1981 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Jetta Mk1 By Bas

Old 1.6 diesel, it's not fast but that doesn't matter. It's real fun to drive, low and slow ;) Starts al the time, it's just a rock solid Volkswagen Jetta mk1. Many things coming for it, just wait a... Read More

Love It. By Jeremy

Performance: It's a diesel, what performance? Handles like its on rails. Build: tons of squeaks and rattles, but 30 years and 900k kms its doing alright. Appearance: Love the styling of early 80's Ger... Read More

Read all 4 1981 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

1982 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

It Is What It Is By MDeath

I absolutely hate the auto transmission. I feel like everyone is pointing at me while I drive down the road. It has a horrible start/idle/overheating issue which no one seems to be able to address. I ... Read More

Read all 1982 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

1983 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

To Fast For Its Own Good Death Trap In The Wrong Hands! By Steven

well what can i say this little red monster was purchased from germany but did not run and had a poo 1.8 8v on carbs 115bhp after i got my hands on it and now it has a 1.8 20v turbo now 230 bhp and on... Read More

Read all 1983 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

1984 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

The Car Is Prepared To Install Everything By Joel

is the best car I have. a great classic design, good build quality, low maintenance at low costs and engine that let do anything any upgrade is plug and play, the car is prepared to install everything... Read More

Little Jetta By Vytas

I love this car... I love all MKII Jetta's and Golf's. What i cas about this car? Build quality is i think is good, Spare Parts cheap, and you can get it in every car part's shop. This car usefull, yo... Read More

Read all 6 1984 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

1985 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Fun Car When It Was Running By Phatrick

I owned this car when it was 5-6 years until it was about 12-13 years. It was certainly a nice car to drive. It was quick and handled like it was on rails. The interior was well designed ergonomica... Read More

Great By Bryan

first car i ever bought. this thing is a tank. i have taken it off road and beaten the hell out of it. real simple to work on as well. the 1.8 L engine puts out some good power for size Read More

Read all 6 1985 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

People researching a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta contacted a dealer about

Volkswagen Jetta
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Hyundai Elantra
Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 34,389 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $995.