1999 Volkswagen Jetta User Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Review Ratings

• Review your car

• Performance:3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 / 5
  • Appearance:4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars 4.1 / 5
  • Build Quality:3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars 3.9 / 5
  • Overall: 4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars 4 / 5

PROS
"handling" 12 reviews
"brakes" 5 reviews
CONS
"expensive part" 5 reviews
"expensive car" 5 reviews
"build quality" 2 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 48 1999 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

Samuel writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GL TDi Turbodiesel Review
Overall:

Pros

Very reliable, very good on gas, decently equipped for price.

Cons

Not super fast.

The Ideal Student Car. — Classic Volkswagen everything. It has typical performance for a 90hp diesel. Build quality is very good (German Engineering). As far as appearance goes I'm a huge fan of German styling and the cost to maintain it is minimal. Is it fun to drive? It is a Volkswagen so... heck yes! German cars always handle better! I love it! I would definitely recommend this vehicle.

Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 37,140 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $1,200.
Chelsea writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Review
Overall:

Pros

Gas-mileage, handling, braking

Cons

not very stylish, built more for purpose

Pack-leader — My car is a beast. It's a "wolfsburg" edition.... I like to call it the pack-leader, because it seems to feed monthly.The build is very tough and can withstand a great deal of beating. I love driving it though; the handling is great. It packs a lot of punch for just a four cylinder. The gas mileage is awesome. It gets about 28-30 miles to the gallon (highway). It's not high maintenance, just the usual stuff. The interior is very roomy for such a compact car.

eaortman writes:
Parking:
Snow/Ice:
Weight:
Overall:

Pros

This Jetta has many highway miles as I drove from Kent to Columbus, and from Newark, OH to Columbus regularly for school. With that being said, the comfort and sense of security it offers is impressive. The fuel milage definitely has to be one of my favorite attributes of this vehicle, ranging from 29 city, and 37-40 on highway. In regard to its appearance, it seems to never look old or out dated. Every person that has been a passenger in my car are always surprised when I tell them that it's a 1999. They always assume it's newer. Lastly, 5-speed stick shift makes driving more exciting!

Cons

Like most older Volkswagens, they do burn oil, so it is very important to check and add oil just about every 2-3 weeks. When doing 75+ mph the engine is a little buzzy.

eaortman

A Reliable Everyday Commuter And Traveling Vehicle. — I have been very pleased with this vehicle! So much so, I am looking into purchasing a new or newer used Jetta. You get what you pay for, and what my family payed for in 1999 was a solid and reliable vehicle and I can say that in 2012, this 1999 Jetta still holds true to that.

Roudi writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GLS Review
Overall:

Pros

Great fun. Looks amazing inside and out.

Cons

Poorly design engine sitting too low to the ground. Not enough power with the 2.slow.

Vw Jetta: The Love/hate Story — This was the first car that I have ever owned, bought for me by my parents. I knew then I wanted something that looked bold, stylish, and crafted with a touch of German. Not throwing out the idea of owing a Civic, but every kid my age had one. Little did I know, I ended up in the land of Vdub. What came along with owning a VW, was the sub- culture that came behind it. Through shockers, and love amongst Dubbers; it seemed almost as a cult. However, a cult with tastefully modded vehicles, unlike their counter part japanese street tuners. Stretch tires and RWD fitments on a FWD car with huge spacers became a fashionable thing to do amongst dubbers, completely senseless, but cool. At the time, these where in the discussion boards and a power struggle between VW and Honda fanboys were hitting the drag strips. I enjoyed the quarrels, and participated in many discussions. It became my passion, my pass time, my studies... From then I grew with real knowledge from mechanics and physics. What I had gained from this car, was once a great time in my life. From knowledge, wisdom, the right mods, the wrong mods, friends, and stories. This car was the love of my life! It was a Love/Hate story. Had I have know at the time of purchase I would have gone with a 1.8T 5- speed gear shifter, instead with no knowledge I opted for a 2.0L grand-ma/sissi boy gear changer aka automatic transmission. Performance wise, it was very weak. It was never built for performance actually . Yet it felt nice as it revved to 3k RPM before shifting gears. Higher gear ratio's made it very "torquey"! Suspension was solid and kept the car on the road very well. Compared to those japanese vehicles, it was smooth and not as bouncy. It felt solid, it felt German. Built quality seemed impeccable, especially the interior was very comfortable and un-boring as if nothing seemed cheap. Even though it really was! Broken glove box, plastic molding from the dash kept breaking off, and the lighting from the heater dial would never light up when you want it to and the heater never seem to kick in just right. Windows either fog up after awhile, then you would have to trickle with the dials to get it back on, it was a constant adjustment. Finally, you would always have a burnt stop light bulb or a burnt headlight that was nearly impossible to change behind the battery. To top things of the 2.0L burns oil faster than a Buggati Veyron hitting top speed with a full tank of gas! On a final note, it had a very poorly design by having its engine sit so low as for the oil pan to knock every bump on the road. I had gone through 4 oil pans within it's life span. In the end, I loved it! It was beautiful, was comfortable, and was fun to drive. Those were just minor details that some will cry over, but not I; a person who just absolutely enjoys driving. Whether it just be around the city that I've grown to love & call home.

Ben writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GL Review
Overall:

Pros

great little car, great handling, great acceleration, smooth, you're in full control

Cons

annoying little fixes that cost lots

Great Car For The Price, But Watch For Little Defects. — its got good performance and all that jazz. runs well, no major problems, but it seems to be the little things that go wrong with it. for example the windshield wiper motor went out, and was expensive to fix. same story with the air control switch. good car, expensive minor details.

Nathan writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GLS TDi Turbodiesel Review
Overall:

Pros

Love that diesel sound:)

Cons

almost too many bells and whistles (more stuff to potentially go wrong, i.e. my sunroff has occasionally opened itself)

Last Car I'll Ever Own (pending Availibility Of Diesel Fuel In 2050) — Always wanted a diesel car. Glad I got one. Gets 50mpg on the highway and no less than 43 no matter how hard I run it on local runs. Will run 75mph at barely over 2500rpms. Car has 240k and, while some extras no longer work (heated seats, etc.), it doesn't appear that it will ever wear out. Biggest drawback is that is nearly impossible for a non-VW mechanic to work on as the motor is absolutely shoehorned into the engine compartment, and everything on the car is controlled by seemingly 10 different electric gizmos. Also requires about the most expensive 65 series tires money can buy. Bottom line, it does use some expensive parts, but they last forever, and I can't complain.

Philip writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GLS VR6 Review
Overall:

Pros

Great Performance- Lots of Potential

Cons

Bad on Gas

99 Vr6 Jetta — I like the amount of torque that comes with it. You can customize these cars in so many different ways to fit your profile. There is a great official manual that the experts use to work on this car. It makes it very easy to break down your car and make the customizations yourself. I think with just some basic customizations you can make this car turn into a very sporty, fast sedan. German engineers really know what they are doing. I have 101,000 miles on my car and it actually runs better now than the day to bought it off the lot. Like I said with a few modifications to you can turn this "adorable" car into a little monster!

Grant writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GLS Review
Overall:

Pros

Great fuel economy, well built, and not bad looking when its cleaned up.

Cons

Hugely underpowered. Back seat is a little cramped. AEG engine is rubbish.

Love And Hate. — Before buying my car I should have researched more about it. It is a great car for fuel economy, but the motor is one of the lemons of that year/model. The person that owned it before I did must have not taken care of the car for the simple fact that a lot was broken before I owned it. With the styling, what more do I need to say? Its a Jetta. As far as performance goes, you would need to spend a couple thousand dollars just to get it to the level of a good sports car. Handling and braking are decent for the price and what the car is. I can fit five people in the car fairly comfortably but long journeys may get cramped in the back seat. I love my car just for the fac tof everything that i've been through with it, but if I had my choice I would have chosen something with more power in the end.

David writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GLS VR6 Review
Overall:

Pros

The Jetta is a decent car. It has really good handling in my opinion. The VR6 version has quick acceleration when you need it. Even the VR6 Model get pretty good gas mileage.

Cons

Expect high repair costs when you need to service this car. VW and Audi vehicles aren't cheap to fix. The newer models aren't easy to work on. Manufacture suggests that 91 or above (high test) for fuel. My car does not like 87 octane.

The Jetta Vr6 — I've had my VW Jetta VR6 for quite some time. I have mixed feelings about the vehicle. The car has been fairly good to me getting me from point a to point b. Unfortunately- having this car you have to have heavy repair costs then you need to fix it. Parts aren't cheap and certainly the body shop charges and arm and leg for repairs, so be prepared. If you are a do it yourself person, the VR6 its a bit tougher to work on. There's not much room in the engine bay to work it. And getting to certain things may be a pain in the ass. The VR6 is pretty quick in acceleration, and response time is almost instant. None of the sluggish non-sense. In fact, probably one of the most responsive V6 engines I've driven. So you shouldn't have a hard time evading police (just kidding), getting on the high way or passing someone when you need to. In my opinion this car has awesome handling. The VR6 actually does get pretty gas mileage- the first long trip I took was from CT to TN. High way I averaged about 34.2 miles/gal using 93 octane. Overall- this car is a good car to own. I'd only recommend it to a friend if they have the cash to keep up with repair costs when the come along the way.

CGtanocasr writes:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GL Review
Overall:

Pros

Original parts are expensives

Cons

Safe and reliable

CGtanocasr

Enjoyable To Drive. — Overall I enjoy driving it, automatic, easy to park (medium size) ,cd player (8 cd carrier) am/fm radio, black exterior and interior, with automatic door safe look, spaced trunk for caring lugged or grocery shopping, 3 persons will be seated very comfortable on the back.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 48 1999 Volkswagen Jetta reviews.

Review your car

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Great Daily Driver For The People Who Enjoy Driving By dustan

Overall a great car, I enjoy every drive. The car is comfortable and efficient all while being completely sexy. The car can get out of its own way well and it a blast to drive at highway speeds. The a... Read More

Read all 2014 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Very Happy With Car By Jcar

Super pleased with economy - I drive mostly highway, mostly 75-80 mph and average over 40 mpg. This is reason I bought the car - as I drive 120 miles to/from work. Great stereo, nice comfort, ve... Read More

Economical But Fun By Thorsten73

This car is a great family car that not only is a hybrid, but has a turbo for times that you need it. No problems, intuitive and great looking. I recommend this car to any small family looking for a ... Read More

Read all 6 2013 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

I'm Trading To A Diesel Beetle Ragtop So I'm Sad To See It Go! By Michael

So your car takes premium and gets 35 mpg? Diesel costs the same or less than premium and this car gets twice the mileage, meaning you use 50-60% of the fuel costs. I'm a long distance commuter, a... Read More

Decent By dinocchio

Bought a used car from a dealer with $15000. It's a decent car. The suspension sucks. The look is great. Anything else is normal. The trunk is very spacious. All in all, it's a very decent car with t... Read More

Read all 6 2012 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Great Car For Most People By tdub_birytx

2011 Jetta does lots of things well. Good on fuel economy, looks great, handles better and has a surprisingly spacious interior. I am 6'2 and am comfortable driving the car. The trunk is also a lot bi... Read More

Awesome...love The New Design By Leonizmo

Great car, my wife love it. We take it out for road trip all the time. Great on gas mileage, the awesome thing is you only have to do maintenance once in 10k miles. Only the coat of it lol Read More

Read all 12 2011 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Great Value By Jonesb930

Overall I am happy that I purchased this car. I am at 100K and ready to trade it in but have been hesitating since it was such a great car overall. I have driven a newer model Passat during the last s... Read More

Great Economy Car By Jason

I drove this car for 5 years before I bought my challenger. I didn't realize how much you could actually spend on gas before I bought my challenger. I only went to the gas station once every 4-6 weeks... Read More

Read all 29 2010 Volkswagen Jetta reviews

People researching a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta contacted a dealer about

Volkswagen Jetta
Honda Civic
Volkswagen Passat
Honda Accord
Jetta
Looking for a Used Jetta in your area?
CarGurus has 37,140 nationwide Jetta listings starting at $1,200.