1998 Acura Integra User Reviews

1998 Acura Integra Review Ratings

• Rank your car

• Performance:4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars 4.2 / 5
  • Appearance:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5
  • Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 / 5

PROS
"handling" 11 reviews
"reliable car" 9 reviews
CONS
"build quality" 2 reviews
"interior" 2 reviews
"trip" 2 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 34 1998 Acura Integra reviews.

Billy writes:
1998 Acura Integra GS Hatchback Review
Daily Commute:
Overall:

Pros

great everyday commuter

Cons

not enough power

Integra — great overall car for everyday commute and good on gas millage plus some travel every now and then to entertainment. very sporting look and great handle can on highway and city. has plenty of accessory that most of these cars have these days.

kh723012 writes:
1998 Acura Integra LS Hatchback Review
Overall:

Pros

Reliable, safe, easily drivable car, looks great, easily customizable, fun to drive.

Cons

some minor cosmetic issues (front and rear of car)

kh723012

Wow Great Value! — Great car, very little not to like. Great value, comfortable and fun to drive. Clear sight lines, good gas mileage and fair maintenance costs. Great acceleration, breaking and handling. Allows the driver to feel totally in control while still having an automatic transmission.

Xylon writes:
1998 Acura Integra GS Hatchback Review
Overall:

Pros

Handling, cost of ownership, fun to drive, looks

Cons

Not enough horsepower in non-vtec engine

Xylon

My Favorite Car I Have Ever Owned — I loved everything about my Integra!!! The looks, the handling, the cost of ownership (maintenance, gas, service etc..) This car gets compliments everywhere I go. I have had 5 different techs, car wash attendants and people off the street offer to buy it. Unfortunately, I'm going to keep it forever.

Stephen writes:
Snow/Ice:
Visibility:
Weight:
Overall:

Pros

A comfortable yet sporty car of the 90's, still full and energy and eager to please 13 years later.

Cons

Can being addicted to driving and modifying it be called a negative? Perhaps if you like the money in your wallet. This is an addictive car to be sure.

1,175

A Shining Gem Of The 90's That Is Still Noticed In The Troubled Modern Era. — Before I begin, I just want to let anyone who reads this know that this is not from an everyday driver standpoint. Most people buy a car to get from point A to point B. I am not one of those people; I buy a car knowing I am going to enjoy it for whatever reason I want to purchase it for. I am a car enthusiast, and proud of it. The Acura Integra, considered by many to have been produced in the heyday of Acura's production era. Back before Acura's has ridiculous looking rear ends and hideous looking front noses. The Acura Integra was produced between 1987 and 2001, with three different generations in total, and a fourth that it loosely related, the Acura RSX, made from 2002 to 2006. The first generation was from 87-89, the second from 90- 93, and the final one from 94-01. We will be reviewing the third generation here. During the third generation, there were six different models: the RS, LS, SE, GS, GS-R, and Type-R. The GS was introduced when Acura decided to change the SE badge to GS. The first four models share a 1.8L 16 valve DOHC inline four engine, producing 142hp. They have an optional five speed manual or four speed auto, with gear selection for 1, 2, and even 3, with D4 being the standard Drive gear. The GS-R also came with a 1.8L 16 valve DOHC inline four motor, but it also came with what Honda called VTEC: Variable Vale Timing and Electronic Control. This allowed the motor to produce 170hp, and was only mated with a five speed manual transmission, with shorter gear ratios than the standard four models. It has a redline of 8100 RPM's, with VTEC engaging at 4400 RPM's, and the secondaries in the two-stage intake manifold opening up at 5800 RPM's. The final model, the Type-R, was the king. This car used the same motor as the GS-R, but thanks to lighter and reworked internals, different cams, and shorter intake runners, this model produced a whopping 195hp, and has a redline of 8400 RPM's. It is also mated only to a five speed manual, with even shorter gear ratios than the GS-R. Unlike the GS-R however, it has a single stage intake manifold, and VTEC engages at 6000 RPM's, which meant the car focused on top end power. The Type-R is also revered as the "Best Handling Front Wheel Drive Car Ever", and was called so a decade after production. While FWD may not be synonymous with handling, a ten year old front wheel drive car claiming such a title is nothing to sneeze at by any means. The Type-R is revered as the "Holy Grail" of Integras, and was only made between 1997 and 2001 in limited numbers, with no model for 1999 being released in the U.S. So, how fast is it? It is by no means a drag race car, but it's certainly no slouch. A good driver can get this car from 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds, and since it isn't limited by a governor, it will go all the way to 150 MPH if given enough road. At the time the motor was in production it has more horsepower per liter than a Ferrari of the same era. Modifications for this car, even though it is over ten years old, are still plentiful, and with a few properly added bolt-ons, you can have a fast car that will still take corners quite well. The motors for these car are great for turbo charging, natural aspirations, and even have supercharger applications. There are so many different parts for these cars, that you can build the motor any way you want, with whatever parts you want, and change them on whim if the mood strikes you. However, these cars also have a lot of interchangeable parts with Honda Civics, which makes them high theft cars in a lot of areas. Be sure to install security to prevent yours from being stolen. Now, I mentioned before that this car cornered well. You must have thought I was pulling your leg, but in fact I was not. While a stock Integra may have understeer, as almost every FWD car does, there are easy steps you can take to counteract this. Changing the rear swaybar to a thicker application, changing out and adjusting the suspension, and weight reduction are just a few ways you can make your Integra handle so much better than stock. If a stock Type R claimed the title of "Best Handling Front Wheel Drive Car Ever", imagine how much better it would be with a bit of modification? Speaking of modification, these cars are easy to work on, and make great cars to fix and learn to fix cars in general. That is, if you need to fix them. Honda's are known to have great build quality, and the Integra is no exception. I've owned my 13 year old Integra for 2 1/2 years, and besides regular fluids and essentials such as brakes and rotors, all I've had to change were the front wheel bearings. I've drained the battery overnight before, and after giving it a jump start, it was fine. I still use the same battery to this day, showing not only good battery quality, but a great alternator as well. Now, usually with a foreign car, when it needs to be repaired, you would think you'd have to take it in to a shop and pay lots of money for parts from whatever country they're made. This is not always the case though. As I mentioned before, the Integra is a great car to work on, but it is also easy to repair or replace things in your driveway! There are many resources out there that give you instruction on how to fix your Integra, saving you costly labor fees. Now for a brief word on safety. I owned a previous Integra to the one I have now. It was a two door SE model. I was driving to school one afternoon, when someone decided to make a left turn in front of me without looking. Slamming on my brakes and knowing I wouldn't stop in time, I collided with the Ford Fusion at 40 MPH, sending the Fusion skidding down the road, and leaving me with an Integra with a busted up front end. What kind of injuries did I sustain? None. The airbag went off, the seat belt held me in place, and I was unscathed except for having the wind knocked out of me and a sore shoulder for a week. I completely trust these cars with my life, and do so every day I go out. Do you think I'd buy the same kind of car again if I didn't think it would keep me safe? I am completely confident in the safety of these cars, and always will be. Speaking of safety, the Integra comes standard with two front airbags, one driver and one passenger. In terms of emergency braking, and brakes in general for that matter, I've had several close calls, and all have been avoided thanks to the good brakes or great handling my Integra has. All four wheels are disc brakes, so no need to worry about heavy drums to mess with. So what about styling? In my opinion, I think it's a sexy looking car, with its simple rear end and four headlight setup in front. Don't like how the front end looks? You can buy what we call the "JDM Front", which is what the Japanese decided to use instead of what some call the "bug eye" front end. It is a simple rectangular headlight setup, which is also popular with many people, but will set you back about a grand if you choose to buy one. The interior is where I'm sure many will differ from me. Cars these days have a thousand and one gadgets, all capable of performing what I think are unnecessary tasks. The Integra is from an era where such things were still being introduced. It has climate control, cruise control, power steering, ABS, power windows (optional), power locks (also optional), air conditioning, and that's about it. It obviously has a radio, which comes with either a cassette or CD player depending on the year. The interior comes in either cloth or leather, and it has two cup holders in front, which are pretty much only good for holding cans of soda in today's world of oversized drinks. So you might be asking, where's the traction control? Where are all of the fancy driver aids that you might expect in an Acura? Well guess what? It doesn't have them, and I'm glad it doesn't in my opinion. The Integra isn't meant to be a full fledged compact luxury car; the Type-R only car with Suede seat cloth, optional A/C, and no cruise control! The Integra is a blend of everyday comfort and spirited sportiness. It's meant to get you where you want to go in comfort, and put a smile on your face while doing so if you ask it to. Likewise, it rides on a double wishbone suspension coilover suspension, not like MacPherson's, which most cars these days use to transport their passengers in better comfort, by sacrificing performance. But to be honest, at least from my point of view, I don't find the ride to be uncomfortable. I like having a suspension that communicates to me what the road is like, and performs when I ask it to. So what about performance? Is it fun to drive? Be all means! There isn't a day that I don't drive this car where it doesn't put a smile on my face. The handling is precise and the car goes where you turn the steering wheel, with little to no correction needed. It gets up and goes when you ask it to, and will keep going. I am a spirited driver, and I drive so pretty much every time I can when the weather permits. This car has never disappointed me, and I doubt it ever will to be honest. While you're having all of this fun, you can look forward to getting good gas mileage, with 25 city and 31 highway estimated by the EPA, which is quite accurate. If you baby the car, you can get even more, and even if you thrash it for half of the gas tank, you can still achieve averages of 28 MPG. I have no problem averaging 300 miles per tank, and the tank holds 13.2 gallons. I've taken this car on several trips in excess of 100, 200, even 700 miles, and I've only needed to fill up once or twice. Speaking of road trips, I love taking long trips in my Integra. Every year I drive 700 miles to the mountains for some winding mountain road driving, and the trip is not unbearable. It is a compact car, so taller and larger people than I should probably keep that in mind, but even so, I have several friends who are bigger than I and enjoy taking trips in their Integra's just as much. It's not the most comfortable seating on the road, but it gets the job done. Cargo capacity for this car is pretty good for a compact car in my opinion. It won't be a Ford Taurus obviously, but I've seen people fit Christmas trees into their Integra hatchbacks just fine. Speaking of which, the Integra comes in either a two door hatchback model, or a four door sedan model, which is what I have. The coupe is able to hold slightly more cargo, and odder shaped cargo at that. However, if you carry more than one passenger, you'll want the four door, as getting in and out of the back of an Integra hatckback is not fun, even for a 5'3" 110lbs person such as myself. I should also mention road noise. The hatachback doesn't have this problem, but the four door model is designed a little differently, and has frameless doors. This allows air to sometimes go between the door and the rubber seal, among other things, and you do hear wind noise on occasion. However, this can once again be solved, as the sedan has optional door visors than can be installed, and the coupe does as well. Well, I think I've finally run out of things to say about this wonderful little vehicle. Thank you for reading all of it, and I hope I have helped you learn more about this car.

Zachary writes:
1998 Acura Integra Review
Overall:

Pros

awesome car

Cons

i crashed it

Best Car I've Owned — love the teggy. It was an acura so there are no questions about how well built it was. the performance was impressive especially with the 4 cylinder which also holds cost down. this has been my favorite daily driver yet as far as how fun it is to drive.

carioux2008 writes:
1998 Acura Integra LS Hatchback Review
Overall:

Pros

Car can get almost 40MPG if driven correctly, nothing ever breaks, and if it does, its usually pretty easy to fix. Fairly comfortable for shorter rides (less that 4 hrs), Unique looks

Cons

Some repairs can be costly because it is a discontinued-foreign car. People eyeball your stuff at malls and parking lots all to frequently.

carioux2008

Overall A Nice Car For Someone Looking To Save Some Money And Have A Reliable, Fun, Low Cost Car. — I really enjoyed having this car for the past few years. There wasn't anything I couldn't do in it either, I fit a wheelbarrow in the trunk, went offroading (not because I wanted to), went to import car cruises...etc. I met lots of new people just because they liked my car. It never really broke down on me and left me stranded, and when something did break, i could find the part and get it fixed usually that day.

Mark writes:
Overall:

Pros

Excellent reliability, fun to drive and does kill me at the gas pump.

Cons

Its not a family friendly car (very small back seat).

A Classic Acura — When I bought it I never thought I'd have it so long. Now with a family and the odometer clicking ever higher its time to let someone else take the reigns. The car has continually amazed me with its great performance and fuel economy. The only real money that I've ever had to put into it was normal maintenance items (water pumps/timing belts).

Eric writes:
1998 Acura Integra LS Sedan Review
Visibility:
Overall:

Pros

mileage, ergonomics, reliability

Cons

rear visibility & seat comfort on long trips

Everyone Should Own One. — 40 mpg on the highway! I love this car, it's the 4th one I've had and I'll look for another one when I max this one out. My only complaint is the power, but that's a trade-off for the high mileage.

Jared writes:
Overall:

Pros

everything

Cons

nothin

All Around Good Car — just one word amazing. i would definatly recomend this car for one of my friends because i think it is a realiable car and gets the job done sometimes with a litle extra speed. so thats what i think. good luck

Dwayne writes:
Overall:

Pros

motor

Cons

nothing

My Car — my car is a faxt car a little old but the motor has lots of performance parts its a veary fast car my cars cost me very little paid cash for it car drives well handles well i love my car

Displaying 1 - 10 of 34 1998 Acura Integra reviews.

Rank your car

1986 Acura Integra Reviews

My 1st Car...get What You Pay For..$900 Mistake By Souldaddy145

My first car. Bought used and with 167k miles. Paint was in good shape and had new clutch, but thats where the list ended. Previous owner put in shag carpet, headliner was sagging and dropping debris... Read More

A Great, Reliable Car To Get You From A To B By Tracey

Honda were onto a winner when they designed this. Easy to drive, reliable, economical, and not bad looking either. The newer versions even come in a racy Type R. Ours is a great car to drive, but n... Read More

Read all 1986 Acura Integra reviews

1987 Acura Integra Reviews

Reliable And Solid Transportation...somewhat Sporty. By Racer_X

Reliable, well built..overall good fit & finish. Good on gas with 5 spd manual. Decent cargo room with hatchback design. Nice styling (for it's time). Somewhat anemic engine..even the 5 spd manu... Read More

It's A Classic...almost! By Edward

It's an awesome car considering its age. It still has some pep in it. I can only imagine what it must have bee like to have owned this car when it was new. It only has a 1.6L DOHC engine in it but ... Read More

Read all 6 1987 Acura Integra reviews

1988 Acura Integra Reviews

Good For Driving On Weekends By Seefer

I really have a hard time in getting this one, but the feeling of this one makes feel really good behind the wheel,i dont know, even when is not a fast car, i really enjoy driving it...it´s an integra... Read More

Great Car By Andre

like the car for what i bought it for and no one really has one anymore thats custom and i dislike my d16 engine needs more power and tuning. more custom parts and repairs are on the way. paint job co... Read More

Read all 7 1988 Acura Integra reviews

1989 Acura Integra Reviews

Reliable Little Bullet By Brizzly23

This is a seriously reliable car. I've been driving it for 9 years and rarely have problems. When I do have problems it's a pretty cheap fix, and there are plenty of parts in stores. Hard to get an in... Read More

Integrity. By Robinson

Love that this Acura is still on the road today. From 86 they couldn't have made anything, anymore reliable or competitive with this build. Acura changed the way we all look at Honda from this car and... Read More

Read all 11 1989 Acura Integra reviews

1990 Acura Integra Reviews

The Bestest Tiny Hoopty You'll Ever Own By Kraisor

She was 17 when I purchased her from my mechanic in 2007; best used car I've ever had, and I'll keep her til the wheels fall off, and she can't go no more. And I'll do my best to keep her in repair! ... Read More

If You Can Find One In Good Shape, Get It. By Joel

Loved, loved, loved this car. From the performance to styling to handling, this was the perfect car for me at the time. It ran a stock 16 sec at the track weekly, and still got me around Chicago a... Read More

Read all 39 1990 Acura Integra reviews

People researching a 1998 Acura Integra contacted a dealer about

Acura Integra
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Integra
Looking for a Used Integra in your area?
CarGurus has 144 nationwide Integra listings starting at $1,900.