1989 Chevrolet Camaro User Reviews

1989 Chevrolet Camaro Review Ratings

• Review your car

• Performance:4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars4.1 out of 5 stars 4.1 / 5
  • Appearance:4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars 4.2 / 5
  • Overall: 4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars 4.6 / 5

PROS
"handling" 13 reviews
"speed" 11 reviews
CONS
"expensive car" 4 reviews
"tires" 3 reviews
"speed" 3 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 62 1989 Chevrolet Camaro reviews.

Rick writes:
Overall:

Pros

Duh, this is a no brainer. It's my first car.

Cons

Doesn't have a posi.

A Decent Entry Level Car That Can Grow With Your Driving Level. — Power, two stars: It's a 2.8 V6, what can you really expect? Looks/ Style: First off, IT"S A CAMARO! Second, it's still sleek and takes some of it's styling from the corvette of the time. Maintenance cost: Not bad, I work on it myself. Back seats: The only people who could sit in those things are little people, and double amputees. No joke there is three inches between the front of the back seat, and the back of the front seat. We all know there only there so it's considered a "Passenger car" on the insurance forms. Handling: Fairly decent, after all it was Built for the International Race Of Champions, better known as IROC. Yes, it has the potential to be a quarter mile beast, but it can also be a decent auto crosser. Front seats: Pretty average. Nothing special, but they are fairly comfortable. Reliability: It's an RS with a 2.8, been worked hard over it's 119K miles. Yet it still starts up on the coldest day MN winter has to offer after sitting for two months untouched. Family car: One word, NO! Fuel economy: Compared to a top fuel dragster this thing absolutely sips fuel at 12mpg highway. Price: Averaging between 1-5 grand for a fairly decent running 305 tbi model, I'd say it's a good entry level muscle car with the potential to decimate most vehicles on the road. Cargo capacity: I can fit a pair of twelves in the back and maybe a shirt or two. Overall: Maybe I'm biased (I'm a chevy guy, and this is my first car) but I like it. The looks may not be everybody's cup of tee, to me this car is a winner.

Doug writes:
Overall:

Pros

-Pretty inexpensive.
-Has a loud, deep, roaring engine (Very cool very sexy).
- Very dependable if you know the basics of car repairs and change the oil regularly.
- Has T-Tops which are always fun.
- Lots of room and space under the hood, that make it much easier for self-car repairs.
- Has a very big and open back windsheild, which makes for very easy visablilty of the road behind you, plus has very small blind spots.
-The automatic transmission comes with overdrive which makes for surprisingly good gas-mileage for a V-8. ( I would say around 18 miles a gallon).
- You are able to find any part you need at a Junk Yard, these baby's are a dime a dozen and can be found all over for replacement parts. (A little elbow greese goes a far way).
- Lots of foot room for the driver and front passenger of the car.
- Runs extremly well on long drives (Driving from San Deigo to Los Vegas for example) where you have a long stretch of road, while driving 70-80 mph.
- Not too crazy of speed or acceleration and is very easy to handle.
- A great first car.

Cons

-Though it has some good pick up, it isnt that fastest car on the road.
- If you have T-Tops on your model expect lots of leaks (Rain can be a huge bummer and soak your two back seats).
- Once this car hits 130,000 miles driven, expect all original engine parts to begin giving out and needing to be replaced within the next 6-8 months (This may vary depending on if you change your oil regulary and know the basics of car repairs).
- Engine will get very hot (but not overheat) when driving in stop-start traffic.(I would suggest not buying this car if you live in L.A. for example, but if you do. I suggest buying a after-market radiator fan or a lower temperature release thermostat.)
- If you do your own car repairs, replaceing the speedometer can be very unpleasent. (I would suggest going to a pick-N-pull and tearing  into a junked camaro to understand how you will replace it.)
- Has a pretty long nose; Can make it hard to proceed with short turns and parking in small and narrow places.
- With windows rolled up you will still hear a feint wind blowing sound as if your window was still rolled down just a little bit.
- When the windows are rolled down you do not get alot of wind circulation through the car when driving at low speeds do to the angle of the windows.
- I would not buy this car unless you can change your oil regularly (Chevy sports cars will run forever, but only if you know basic car repairs and can do all the basic check ups and fluid replacements regulary.)
- Very small leg room and over all room for any people that will be sitting in the back two seats (basically the back to seats are for is someone really needs to hitch a ride otherwise don't be expecting to have four people in the car daily.)
- Requires premium gas, which can be a con. I think of it as the cost of a fun toy.
- Does not have the best gas millage under 20 miles a gallon.
- Has a very loud engine so if your looking for something quite this isnt the car for you.

A Great First Car To Really Get A Begineers Feel Of How A Sports Car Feels, Sounds, And Drives. — This is an awsome car for anyone young kid that wants a hot looking sports car for a low price and a deep roaring engine with some decent pick up. I great first car for sure.

swtride89 writes:
swtride89

Everything A Car Should Be — My camaro has a 2.8L V6 and it is everything a car should be. It looks great, drives great, the 5-speed tranny gets you great gas mileage, and has really decent power and you wont pay so terribly much for insurance.

TDJ383 writes:
Overall:

Pros

It's a chevrolet for starters. Parts are easy to find an usually cheaper in price. There are many upgradeable suspension parts for front and the rear. You can use the sway bars from an I-Roc Z/28. They are slightly larger in size and performance link kits and bushing that improve handling. That's what I've done intil I save the money it takes to buy upper and lower control arms. I know every bolt and nut size an it's location. I've built 3 different years of 3rd. gens. You can adjust your pinion angle for better traction by installing a aftermarket component that mounts to the tail end of the tranny.

Cons

Not a full framed under carriage. Needs a rack and pinion like the 4th generation. The steering sucks @$$!!!!!! The biggest con is that it isn't a 1st. Gen.

TDJ383

A Work In Progress. — The lack of horsepower and a better gear ratio from the factory would have been nice. There are also some models that will be worth a chunk of change in the future. I wish that the upgrades weren't so exspensive. Having a serp. belt and not the old V-belts set up.

Jeff writes:
Overall:

Pros

Decent handling in it's day.  Shred tires on demand.

Cons

creaked like a mother.  Tires every year.

The Cockroach — My favorite car hands down. had the 5.0 TPI motor. Got spanked by Mustang LXs, but it was a lot more comfortable. Modified the holly crap out of it ... exhaust, cold-air, Paxton SC, etc etc. Buddies called it the Cockroach cuz of the factory louvers and the maroon paint.

Brittany writes:
Overall:

Pros

fun to drive, acceleration was great

Cons

not good for a daily driver if you're trying to conserve gas

89 Camaro Rs — Performance- acceleration was great, braking was good, handling was ok. Build Quality- the driver side window leaked- i found out at the car wash! Cost- it was a gift from my Grandpa, i don't remember the mpg Appearance- blue paint, dark blue interior- a few dents Fun Factor- It was so fun driving this car! I would race people all the time, and stomp on the gas nearly every time I had the chance.

Justin writes:
Overall:

Pros

great car

Cons

worse gas mileage

Great — Good acceleration and top speed. Handling is great! Overall quality is awesome for its age. Strong, sturdy car. Gas mileage sucks, and maintenance can be expensive. Overall, car is in great condition and runs good. Will be a street-legal, SCCA racecar in the near future. In other words, best damn car I've ever had, period!

Ranger762 writes:
Ranger762

Chevrolet Starting To Get It Right. — I owned an 1989 IROC as well as a 1986 IROC. The TPI injection produced tons of BHP. And I remember being pinned to the seat the first time I really got into the throttle. I currently own a 1989 Camaro RS I got this car as I project car. But I can recommend the IROC model as it is great right from the showroom floor.And now there are tons of after market products to really get the power this car is able to produce. I know of many peolpe that have only gotten 400BHP and more from these cars. Good luck and enjoy your car. Thats the most inportant thing in any car that you own. Enjoy it and take great care of it. Terry L White

Owner for 3 years, 0 months

Miles Driven per Year:10,000

Kennythetechnician writes:
Overall:

Pros

I built this motor for horse power and fun

Cons

gas milage and speeding tickets

Kennythetechnician

Fast — I found this car wasting away with a 5.0 with automatic transmission body was in great shape needed a little interior work ut that was fine, so i striped out the motor and transmission and built and installed a 5.7 litre then installed a 5 speed transmission. this car is fast and fun.

dhollins writes:
1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z Convertible Review
Overall:

Pros

1 of a kind.

Cons

Wanting bigger motor

dhollins

Black Pearl — I've owned this IROC for 15 years. I bought it from the original owner here in Oregon. It's always garaged and covered. It's been a mulitple award winner at regional car shows. I would not sell or trade it for anything!

Displaying 1 - 10 of 62 1989 Chevrolet Camaro reviews.

Review your car

2014 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews

Great To Drive! By Kenappel

I really enjoy the styling and performance. However, I hope that they can work to fuel efficiency going forward. However, our overall impression of the Camaro is very positive. We go on more road t... Read More

Love It!! By JanesCarAddiction

This is my second camaro. I really love that it fits me and all my friends, and family. I was really worried that the car would be to manly for a girl but its not. Lots of people ask me about my car a... Read More

Read all 3 2014 Chevrolet Camaro reviews

2013 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews

A Hot Looking Retro Camaro That Turns The Ladies Eyes By jvanzeeland

I LOVE IT. When the new body came out in 2010, I have been waiting for the time that I could put it in my garage. I cant seem to wipe the grin off my face every time I get in it. I feel like I sitt... Read More

Best Ever By gogator

nothing at this time but i can say that with all the new comforts in this car they have really improved the Camaro. I will have this car the rest of my life and will enjoy many years of reliability. S... Read More

Read all 10 2013 Chevrolet Camaro reviews

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews

Overall A Very Fun Car! By jtm12180

I love this car overall. The radio is unimpressive for reasons I listed above. The gas mileage isn't too bad, particularly on the highway. The trunk space is impressive considering it's a sports ca... Read More

Dream Car By belcher0807

This car is everything I hoped it would be and more. It has better power than my 90's Z28 but still gets 30 MPG. The front seats are very comfortable. The rear seats are a little small but that's w... Read More

Read all 16 2012 Chevrolet Camaro reviews

2011 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews

Great Sports Car For The Money By bluboy10

23,000 miles and still as tight as day I bought it, no rattles, still handles and runs like new big chevy V8 gets great gas mileage on the highway. don't have any bad things to say about this car. ... Read More

great sports car for the money !!! performance is awesome. 23,000 miles and still as tight as day I bought it no rattles or flaws luv the power, gets great mileage on the highway too. Would recomme... Read More

Read all 29 2011 Chevrolet Camaro reviews

2010 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews

A Fun Classic Car By Billkim464

Great look, excellent dependability and a rush to drive..all the power you need without the gas sucking V8 of the SS, The 2LT RS just has a classic design and road feel. Gas mileage more than 27mpg o... Read More

Street Hotrod By gmcdenali

Extraordinary acceleration with either engine, capable handling, excellent value, head-turning looks, unique interior design, good fuel economy. Compromised visibility, a few ergonomic gaffes, margina... Read More

Read all 144 2010 Chevrolet Camaro reviews

People researching a 1989 Chevrolet Camaro contacted a dealer about

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS, This is the latest picture of my Camaro. 1989 Camaro RS, and yes it still has the 5.0 LO3 engine in it, but modified. Any Questions ? LOL :)
Chevrolet Camaro
Ford Mustang
Pontiac Firebird
GMC Sierra 1500
Camaro
Looking for a Used Camaro in your area?
CarGurus has 31,028 nationwide Camaro listings starting at $1,795.