1988 Pontiac Fiero User Reviews

1988 Pontiac Fiero Review Ratings

• Review your car

• Performance:3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars 3.9 / 5
  • Appearance:4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars 4.6 / 5
  • Build Quality:3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars 3.9 / 5
  • Overall: 4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars 4.2 / 5

PROS
"handling" 10 reviews
"beautiful car" 4 reviews
CONS
"space" 3 reviews
"transmission" 2 reviews
"light" 2 reviews
"storage" 2 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 26 1988 Pontiac Fiero reviews.

Henri writes:
Overall:

Pros

Handling, engine sound, The exterior body panels are made plastic so it`s rustproof

Cons

Steering capacity is little too small, Original shock absorber are thin. Engine is little powerless if you haven`t tuned in it.

Nice Mr Sport Car — This car is pretty unique nowadays. It`s realy nice mid-engined sport car with 2.8 liter V6 engine and 5 speed transaxle.Original suspension system is so called VS6, but im going to retrofit coil-over suspension anyway car is good handling.In my case there is only little need repairs.Apperance interior simple, little sporting look gauge panel, exterior you like it or not. I think it`s sporting look and I like it a lot.

Richard writes:
Safety:
Visibility:
Weight:
Overall:

Pros

This car was built as a two seater mid-engine sports car, similar to, but a lot smaller than the Chevrolet Corvette. It has a sleek, wide, racy body meant for speed and handling. It is a really good car to just drive for the sheer fun of it, especially if it has the 5-speed manual transmission and the spoiler. It will really hold a curve due to its wide stance and low center of gravity. Parking and daily commutes are a cinch, and with its' small size, visibility, and light weight, its' really a lot of fun and very affordable (great mpg)!

Cons

With it's small size, lack of a rear seat, and mid-engine design, interior space is limited to behind the seats, which isn't much. However, there is a small storage compartment under the hood and also in the trunk. Plan on packing very light if you are taking a long trip, or buy a luggage rack for the rear. On short trips it rides well, but on long ones it can be tedious due to the lack of room in the vehicle itself. If you're looking for a large family type vehicle, this is not the car for you. As mentioned, this is a two-seater sports car, built for the thrills of "letting it all hang out!"

Small, Fast, Agile Car Built For Fun, Yet Less Expensive Than Foreign Sports Cars! — I don't think I've mentioned how safe the Fiero is, but with its wide stance and agile cornering it's not very apt to turn over due to its low center of gravity even at higher speeds. Even though the 2.5 ltr. four cylinder doesn't have the power or acceleration the 2.8 ltr. six cylinder does, it can still hold its own. Braking and handling are very good. Since the Fiero is small, feeling safe and in control comes natural. It was originally known as a "poor man's Corvette" due to its' economical benefits and because it was the first American mass produced sports car!

KansasKowboy writes:
Overall:

Pros

Cool looks, sporty handling, fab stereo, mid engine cool factor

Cons

getting in and out of the car isnt easy but is worth the trouble

KansasKowboy

My 1988 Fiero Gt — I have wanted a Fiero since they first came out in 1984. Finally in the summer of 2008 I got my dream car. I always wanted a sportscar and for a man on a budget the Fiero is a good choice. The 1988 GT model is a true sports car. Mid-engine V6, sexy sounding exhaust system, classic sports car looks like it is going fast sitting still. I drive the car to work everyday. Interior is simple and sporty with all the right gauges. People complain about the power but I think my Fiero has great pickup and accelleration. I have no complaints about the engine. I get about 16 miles per gallon in town and 20 plus highway. I think the car looks great and is a blast to drive, especially on hilly curves. I even get waves from Corvette owners.

Michael writes:
Overall:

Pros

mid engine enough said, people always stop and stare trying to get what it is

Cons

no easy mods for it

Great Car — handles great and has style like no other american car always grabs peoples attention when your driving down the street most fun i have ever had driving a car car has very few problems other then not being easy to modify for more performance

John writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fun

Cons

Two seater

I Love This Car, I Love Driving It, I Love Looking At It, I Love Pretty Much Everything About It. — Performance: It is a light car with a V6 so it feels quick and corners like no other because it has a low center of gravity and 50/50 weight distribution with its mid-engine design. Compared to cars of the 80s it is up there but compared to modern cars, it is still a strong cornering car, but lacks in horse power. Build quality is that of an 80s GM. It has aggressive styling and head turning good looks. Gets pretty decent gas mileage for a sports car, 27 hwy if you are easy on it. I probably average around 22. It is definetely the funnest car I have owned. I have driven more powerful cars, but the handling is second to none, which makes it feel faster.

Steve writes:
Safety:
Overall:

Pros

I just love Fiero's ... I have owned six of them so far.

Cons

Limited rear trunk space.

Still One Of The Sexyests Cars On The Road Even After Almost 30 Years — These are fun to drive. As with any car there are issues but nothing that can't be improved or corrected. This particular cars only real flaw is the t-top roof, I am just not a big fan of the t-tops. There is no rust at 142K miles it must have spent most winters in storage. It is a 4 cyl. 5 spd. so the mileage is great. And even with only 95hp. it is still quick enough to get me all the speeding tickets I would ever want.

William writes:
Overall:

Pros

Awesome looks, great handling, good brakes, cheap parts for repair

Cons

Not very fast.

1988 Fiero Formula — I honestly love it. The body design, the sound of it, and the handling. There's really nothing else like it on the road today. The only thing it needs is more power in the engine department. The 2.8V6 is too wimpy for the look of the car, but an engine swap will take care of that nicely. The brakes are great, huge improvement over previous years of Fiero. My car is definitely a lower-mileage survivor, with only 88,000 miles on the clock. It still manages to get about 20 - 23 MPG highway while being 20 years old. Parts are easy to find and cheap to fix it, and it isn't as hard to work on as people make it out to be. Personally, I love the car and plan on buying a few more to toy with!

Paul writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fast as lightning, 40+mpg, handles like a porsche, turns heads all around - a fairly rare, unique car now.

Cons

Automatic tranny; unfortunately there is no standard transverse-moutable transmission that will hold up to the power the engine creates. Thats because I put a big engine in though, it's all my fault.

My Project, My Dream Car. — This is a totally custom build for me. I've scrapped the original 5speed manual tranny, and 2.5litre 4cylinder iron-duke engine for a massive powerhouse 3800 Series II Supercharged motor. Also swapped the transmissions to the automatic heavy-duty tranny that comes with the Series II 3800SC. The car started as a coupe model, I've swapped every body part on it for GT stuff from an 86GT, and put in all the power options, power windows, mirrors, stuff like that. No AC, no power steering, no nothing that takes power away from the wheels. I love it.

JohnBoySS writes:
Overall:

Pros

Nothing at this time

Cons

Nothing at this time

JohnBoySS

Nothing At This Time — The car looks really great for an 88. I've always thought they were sporty. I had to fix a lot of electrical problems when I first got it. Still have a few fuel issues to deal with. But, all in all I do like the car so I don't really mind.

Noremac1993 writes:
Overall:

Pros

The car handles better than anything I have ever driven. It takes turns 20 miles an hour faster than any of my other cars, it daintily sipped gas, and looked great.

Cons

It over heated all the time, like every 20 minutes, going slower than 20 means the lack of power steering had an effect so it sucked. It was ridiculous to get into since you sit 3 inches off the ground, felt cool though, and the 145HP V6 was pathetic.. It could handle well but accelerated like a bus.

And oh yeah, basically nothing worked on it, the windows, mirrors, lights, engine occasionally, and the emergency brake wouldn't quit beeping at me.

Noremac1993

My Reasonable Little Wannabe Super Car. "ambitious But Rubbish"- Top Gear — I loved how easily this car tamed the back roads of West Virginia and Ohio, it made me feel one with the car, and really let met push it with no fighting back. I could have pushed the car beyond it's limits and it would have forgiven me. The car was amazing to own. However, after a bit, the intake gasket melted and I couldn't afford to fix it. That's what I got for being a lazy High school student with no job. Oh well. This car is the epitome of a supercar, without the price of one. It breaks down all the time, nothing works on it, but when you drive it, you really drive it... For ten minutes, then it overheats.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 26 1988 Pontiac Fiero reviews.

Review your car

1987 Pontiac Fiero Reviews

My 2nd Fiero...had To Have Another By Melissa

Great little car, handles great, fun to drive and super quick. I had one in the 80's and had to have another one. They are a bit pricey to fix. It is hard to find one in excellent condition that hasn'... Read More

Love/hate Relationship, Too Fun By slowchemfixie

my first car, dove it all year long, overheating issues were common with the car, fun in snow, bad in traffic, head turner , just a all around fun car to drive. time for too move onto something a litt... Read More

Read all 26 1987 Pontiac Fiero reviews

1986 Pontiac Fiero Reviews

Great Looks On Gt But Sorry Performance From Gm And Poor Reliability Simply Killed It. By USA2seaters

Loved the T-Tops and lit up Pontiac rear end. Love the overall styling of the GT to this day. HATE THE tiny, weak ass motor, the giant, absurdly tall shifter, and the fact that the radiator sits so f... Read More

1986 Pontiac Fiero Se By 86Fierolover

for what i got it for (1600$) it has been worth every penny. very good mileage, and fun to drive. acceleration is moderate cause its only a 4cyl, but mileage is amazing even for how old it is and the ... Read More

Read all 39 1986 Pontiac Fiero reviews

1985 Pontiac Fiero Reviews

The 80's Has Never Looked And Felt So Good By Eddie

This is my second Fiero. The first model I owned was the SE and my second and current model is the GT. I LOVE this car. For something this sporty that was produced in the mid 80's, this car handles... Read More

Loved My 1985 Fiero 2m6 With The Original Nose By jamnblues

Stylish, experimental, innovative- the Pontiac Fiero started as a commuter car and evolved into a real sports car. With the same dimensions and specs as a Ferrari Dino, GM made a rare offering from 19... Read More

Read all 23 1985 Pontiac Fiero reviews

1984 Pontiac Fiero Reviews

Dont Buy The Base Model. The V6 Ones Are A Lot More Fun By Jeff

performance: no power at all the 2.5 inline four was pathetic. Build quality: cheap plastic interior so it cracked. Appearance: looked cool and unique Cost of ownership: Needed lots of work at only 7... Read More

Fieros Are Getting Old, And You Need To Know How To Work On Them, Because Things Constantly Wear Out By Charles

Fieros are fun to drive because of the handling. They are great on twisty roads. I get 22 mpg, which isn't great, but not bad either. Many owners swap the engine to something more powerful, but min... Read More

Read all 19 1984 Pontiac Fiero reviews

People researching a 1988 Pontiac Fiero contacted a dealer about

1988 Pontiac Fiero picture, exterior, interior
Pontiac Fiero
Ford Mustang
BMW 3 Series
Chevrolet Corvette
Fiero
Looking for a Used Fiero in your area?
CarGurus has 66 nationwide Fiero listings starting at $1,950.